3g consistency, etc in central area of siem reap?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
jmap
Expatriate

3g consistency, etc in central area of siem reap?

Post by jmap »

Hi guys, will be moving to siem reap in about 7 months (yey). so we work online. I plan to have usb dongle/phone hotspot as backup internet in case all fast connections fail. I assume 3g will still be there.

My online work can still function within 3mbps so no problem at that speed. What I need is consistent connection (10 hours/work day). Is expecting consistent connection at 3 mbps realistic?

What is the 3g consistency within 1 km radius of the city center? we plan to live in a hotel/hostel for a month or two until we've laid out a backup plan for electricity in case of blackout. Currently Im limiting my accommodation search within the 1km radius of the city center.

Is consistent 3 mbps connectivity still ok even outside 1 km radius? possibly how far from the city center?

How's the 3g signal during rainy season? how about during March to June? consistent? hit and miss? mostly below 3 mbps or about 3mbps?

On blackouts, average blackout occurrences still about every two weeks or more? blackouts how many hours per day in March to June?

Regarding sim I guess its metphone and smart. Is it possible to sign up to opennet while mobile, I mean do they provide router with sim.

Thanks in advance.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: 3g consistency, etc in central area of siem reap?

Post by kiwiincambodia »

SMART, Cellcard, metphone and qb all have good coverage in Siam Reap center. Most will offer what you need in terms of speed except during peak hours 7pm - 9-10ish pm.

Blackouts army much of an issue anymore and don't last long enough for the sites backup power to drain so no issues there.

As far as a know open net don't offer mobile options.

SMART and cellcard offer 4g for very good rates as well but I'm not sure about the 4g coverage in SR.

Hope that helps. Anything else just ask.
jmap
Expatriate

Re: 3g consistency, etc in central area of siem reap?

Post by jmap »

Thats great to hear. I work afternoon to midnight est time so no issue with 7pm - 9-10ish traffic. Thank you once again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic