Fire engulfed a Rith Mony bus causing many deaths and injuries

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Fire engulfed a Rith Mony bus causing many deaths and injuries

Post by Username Taken »

Last night at around 10:40 PM.

Video of some of the injured arriving at hospital.
http://vdo.gocambodia.info/videos/vdetail/105087

CEOCambodiaNews can you do the honours?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Fire engulfed a Rith Mony bus causing many deaths and injuries

Post by Username Taken »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Battambang, a Rith Mony's passenger double deck bus caught on fire last night one the road while traveling from Battambang to Phnom Penh. The Incident happened around 9:00 pm on 06 August 2016.

Police said, the fire was believed to have caused from the electric current (short circuit). One died and seven other injured with three of them seriously injured.

Police confirmed that people injured from trying get out of the bus while the one who died in the bus couldn't manage to get out of the bus. Police helped firefight-ed the bus and brought victims to the hospital. The identity of the deceased is not yet identified.

https://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/149147.html
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I noticed buses in Thailand had those window-cracking tools every few seats, while in Cambodia, some guy had sold them to the market, presumably. Horrific.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Damned lucky there was only one death.

I assume the driver successfully fled the scene. :facepalm:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

At least this should serve as a reminder: Rith Mony bus company has a bad safety reputation, and it is (or should be) common knowledge that it is risky to travel by night buses in Cambodia.

First-hand account of a night bus accident in 2014 from TA form:
6. Re: Late Night Bus Crash Fatality
Aug 14, 2014, 1:41 PM

I was in South East Asia for a while, and this was only 8 days into mine and my girlfriend's travels, we didn't get back until much later and even then it wasn't something we were necessarily eager to find out more about online when we were home, when we did research it and look it up it just brought back too many bad memories.
As far as we were concerned, we had crashed in Cambodia en route to Bangkok, we'd bought our tickets from the hotel we were staying in called 'Okay Guesthouse' right next to the Royal Palace. We had no idea where we were, but from on board the first thing we noticed was around midnight, a large bang on the side of the bus which cracked several of the windows. The glass then smashed from the front of the coach and we spun off the road and through a concrete wall which tore the front left side of the bus.
At this point people were screaming and crying, and there was a lady desperately trying to climb out of the tear in the bus, everyone was getting out of their beds (this was a sleeping bus) and trying to get out. Eventually we realized we could leave through a side luggage door to get out.
When I left I was in such disbelief I didn't even notice the cuts on my feet from walking barefoot across the broken glass (you had to take your shoes off when entering the bus). We looked back on the bus but couldn't see much until the lighting flashed, then we realized the extent of the damage. There was a lady crying on the floor about 30 meters away from the bus, and the person she was travelling with had been thrown from the bus and killed...
Full post: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... bodia.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Be interesting to know what amounts of compensation will be paid. And how much for a police report ?
Battambang city police officer Samrith Oeun, a member of the investigation team, said the fire was likely caused by a fault in the bus’s electrics, which as well as completely destroying the bus, incinerated most of the passengers’ belongings. However, he said the investigation was being hampered by some of the passengers.

“We are finding it difficult to discover the full damage to people’s goods, as some of the victims are not cooperating with police, and instead are insisting on filing individual complaints with provincial police,” he said.

Lay Cheang, the Battambang provincial manager for Rith Mony Transport, stressed the company would pay compensation to the victims and to Mr. Thae’s family, but only upon receiving a detailed police report.

“Compensation must be paid to victims,” he acknowledged. “But we have not yet received a detailed report from the authorities,” he said, adding that the police report would determine how much compensation would be paid.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/28160/ ... ures-five/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic