PP to SR by boat | day trips on the river

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: PP to SR by boat | day trips on the river

Post by StroppyChops »

Soi Dog wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Thanks SD. Trying to decide if it's one of those things you just have to do once for the experience. We had a trip through a storm in a jet boat out to Phi Phi Island that literally nearly killed us but I don't think either of us regret it. We also took the sleeper train from Hanoi to Danang, but that's a whole other story.
I forgot one...take that boat trip when the Tonle Sap is at its low levels and add 3 hours to the trip, as the boatman slowly navigates the shallows.
So... August?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

StroppyChops wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Thanks SD. Trying to decide if it's one of those things you just have to do once for the experience. We had a trip through a storm in a jet boat out to Phi Phi Island that literally nearly killed us but I don't think either of us regret it. We also took the sleeper train from Hanoi to Danang, but that's a whole other story.
I forgot one...take that boat trip when the Tonle Sap is at its low levels and add 3 hours to the trip, as the boatman slowly navigates the shallows.
So... August?
I would say sometime after the rainy season stops (calmer water) and before the 3 dryest months. So November to January is optimal, I think.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cheers. We're meeting some Aussie friends in SR in August and trying to find an interesting way to get there. Personally I hate long bus rides after crossing Australia on Greyhound as a teenager, and flights seem stupidly expensive for such a short trip.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
diesel
Expatriate

Post by diesel »

Soi Dog wrote:It's a satisfactory trip at best in ideal conditions. Five potential problems:

1) The boat is packed full and everyone has lots of bags on the roof, forcing some people to stay inside the whole trip.

2) The weather turns to shit and you are forced inside the boat with the mass of people, 3 to each bench seat that can barely hold two.

3) The seas get rough and its stuffy, humid and smelly inside with BO and diesel engine fumes, and then people start to get seasick and puke into the little black bags. Floating vomitorium with nowhere to hide.

4) The boats I have been on have been absolutely crawling with cockroaches. Not a few. Many thousands. This was mostly on the Koh Kong to SHV trips (back when the boat was the only option), but they were on the PP to SR trip too.

5) Twice I have been on those boats when the engines failed. Can add 4+ miserable hours to your already long trip.
:thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic