A Secret Aid Worker in Cambodia Story

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

A Secret Aid Worker in Cambodia Story

Post by Anchor Moy »

The Guardian are running a series of stories called Secret Aid Worker where aid workers from all over recount their experiences anonymously. This one is from an Australian woman working in a Cambodian village.
Secret aid worker: 10 of the village girls have been sold.
Every year a handful of the 12-13 year olds in the Cambodian village where I work are sold to an ‘agency’ in the city. But perhaps next year things will be different.

This month brought a dose of harsh reality. With a whole year of 200 children attending full-time school for the first time in their lives, the last thing I was worried about was that some of the children would be sold for holiday work in Phnom Penh. But that is what happened...
http://www.theguardian.com/global-devel ... -been-sold
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Re: A Secret Aid Worker in Cambodia Story

Post by mammothboy2 »

Did anyone on this forum comment on this wholly implausible story?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I quickly glanced over the story, looking for the '' Donate Here '' button, but could not find it , so I moved on to other stories like '' Life is a Bore ''
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

" A broker receives $20 per girl from an “agency” in the city. The girls – in this case aged 12-13 – are promised a small wage of between $100-300, most of which they will send to their family, and accommodation, an offer which is irresistible for these families."

$100-$300 is not a small wage. If they are getting so much and the agency is also making a profit the girls sure as hell are not washing dishes!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I have definitely read that same story somewhere else before, and it wasn't recently, more like a couple years ago iirc, may have been posted on 440?

Still sounds like a crock of shit imo.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:I have definitely read that same story somewhere else before, and it wasn't recently, more like a couple years ago iirc, may have been posted on 440?
Still sounds like a crock of shit imo.

Secret aid worker
Tuesday 13 October 2015 12.19 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... -been-sold
The OP is from 22 Oct 2015. Not quite one year old.

Fair enough, because it is anonymous, it is impossible to verify what she says. However, it is part of a series on global aid development commissioned by the Guardian, so I would presume there was serious fact-checking before publishing.
Originally, I posted the article here last year thinking there would be some comment, but there wasn't and I'd forgotten all about it tbh.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic