Khmer Language Questions (Learning and Speaking Cambodian)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Khmer Language Questions (Learning and Speaking Cambodian)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:[
What is the translation of បែកស្លុយ (Bek Sloy)

i think i know from what people have told me but a more direct translation would be good thanks
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Sorry cool boxing guy,I've only heard "sloy" used after loeun I.e. loeun sloy meaning "faster than fast." I've heard it used with walking and driving.
My kids(12&13),tell me bek sloy means to do something different from the others. "Twer plait plait kauh kee." Sorry about the "kauh" but English has no written vowel for the short"o". It's similar to the French *o* in école.

What is your understanding?
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

table42 wrote:Sorry cool boxing guy,I've only heard "sloy" used after loeun I.e. loeun sloy meaning "faster than fast." I've heard it used with walking and driving.
My kids(12&13),tell me bek sloy means to do something different from the others. "Twer plait plait kauh kee." Sorry about the "kauh" but English has no written vowel for the short"o". It's similar to the French *o* in école.

What is your understanding?
well i know Bek បែក = Broken, im not too familiar with Sloy = ស្លុយ, im guessing the two words together make a slightly different meaning

When i first came across the word when i bought a hat with it written on, my friend said it meant something along the lines of "Fucked in the head"
from what i gathered, i was under an impression it was used along similar lines to Chkout / Lop Lop,
Its often associated with dancing, dancing easy/crazy/fun (like in the songs i added below where they mention Rom Srual/LengLeng/Chkout/ Bek Sloy),
so i can see the resemblance with what your kids say regards to "doing something different", Dancing "Differently", their "Style" Dancing is very different for sure! lol,
ក្បាច់បែកស្លុយ - Dance Bek Sloy

theyre are also a lot of "Bek Sloy Remix" of songs on YouTube...

i could easily ask more of my khmer friends as its a real common phrase on facebook with a lot of people using it as their facebook name with either beksloy or (something)sloy, (serious type it into facebook lol) so just wanted a discussion about it
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I don't know the real meaning, but for my understanding Bek Slot means Crazy. It is similar the word Bek Kamathan.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Yep, my boy came clean over this weekend. "Pop" he said. "you asked me about baik sloy. It means fucked up in the head." And yes he learns"those words" from his dad.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

table42 wrote:Yep, my boy came clean over this weekend. "Pop" he said. "you asked me about baik sloy. It means fucked up in the head." And yes he learns"those words" from his dad.

haha so my friend (whos actually my "khmer sister" who speaks good english) was right when she said it means fucked in the head, which is the translation i trusted the most, but it just seemed like a loose translation (kind of like how Kiki Lu turned into meaning anything to do with sex) so was wondering of what a more direct translation is, i guess its just one of those things, and my "crazy" interpretation was on the right wavelength

haha fair play to your boy though for his honesty lol :thumb:
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Cool boxing guy said, "haha fair play to your boy though for his honesty lol."

Yeah well where we live I'm the only native speaker of English and I want both of my kids to speak fluently which of course means all the words even Mormons' know.

I suspect that "fucked in the head" while not incorrect is probably a bit strong. You can't really translate idioms, just look for equivalents.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

when speaking of countries,
which is the more correct form to use
ស្រុក - Srok
ប្រទេស - Brotes/Broteh

i believe they are interchangeable going off my notes from school, just wondering if there is more to it than that? if used in different contexts or whatever...
bayoubill
Tourist

Post by bayoubill »

They appear to be interchangeable to me, but a nod of the head has to be given to srok in spoken Khmer. I have never heard, "Khnyom tau leing proteh, but always" nyom tau leing srok", both inside and outside the country or "nyom neuk srok" never"proteh". Otherwise srok means "district" in other contexts.

One of my favorite rural idioms is, "mau pi srok chho?" (Do you come from a country where they stand? It is said to guests to tell them in a humorous fashion to have a seat.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

bayoubill wrote:They appear to be interchangeable to me, but a nod of the head has to be given to srok in spoken Khmer. I have never heard, "Khnyom tau leing proteh, but always" nyom tau leing srok", both inside and outside the country or "nyom neuk srok" never"proteh". Otherwise srok means "district" in other contexts.

One of my favorite rural idioms is, "mau pi srok chho?" (Do you come from a country where they stand? It is said to guests to tell them in a humorous fashion to have a seat.

yeah ive always used Srok :thumb: just stuck in my head more when i was learning/speaking
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic