Barges

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Barges

Post by Joker Poker »

My knowledge of barges starts and ends here.

I was wondering what is getting dredged and why, also, what happens to the stuff they load up?

I've noticed the constant stream of them all day everyday and figure someone must be making some dough somewhere.

Empty:

Full:

Comparison:
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Barges

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I believe it's sand, they are dredging it out so that when they build tall buildings along the River Bank they will all fall down.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

That did cross my mind!
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I think one of the reasons they haven't built anything on Boeung Trabek lake yet is because they filled it with sand... don't quote me on that as I'm not a structural engineer, just heard it around the table one night.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Do these barges ever sink? They must have at least some positive buoyancy to be able to load out that low...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

You'd think a Viet fishing boat going past would wipe them out looking at how low they are.

Come to think of it, during the big fishing season I've seen some of the ones loaded with fish that low too - scary stuff.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Great photos. I have the same - it's a sign that you're hanging around too much on riverside.
Last time we went on a booze cruise, we saw where they were dredging. There's a lot of sand going somewhere...
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I've been making my living on ships off n' on for 43 years and can say personally those boats are way overloaded. There is a thing called a "plimsoll line/International Load Line." Its markings on the side of a ship that show the legal load limit/sufficient-reserve-buoyancy in different waters. (Fresh water/salt water/ summer load/winter load/ tropical.) I've seen those motor-barges and doubt that they even have those marking or the owner/crew have no idea what they mean. Like the overloaded tourist boats in Sihanoukville and the top-heavy mega cruise ships, I wouldn't set foot on them much less work them.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Anchor Moy wrote:Great photos. I have the same - it's a sign that you're hanging around too much on riverside.
Last time we went on a booze cruise, we saw where they were dredging. There's a lot of sand going somewhere...
Some of the barges with low quality sand/mud go up the Tonli to Prek Ka dam, 25 km from PP where the new bridge is. There it was being used for land filling and roads. It appears to me that only a smaller percentage is top quality sand that is used in the building industry.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

I wonder which river bank will be the first to collapse when the big waters start running?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic