So you drink. Well done, you.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: So you drink. Well done, you.

Post by Kuroneko »

Rain Dog wrote: Soi Dog --- it seems you are a "Yank" --- me too --- although almost 20 years removed from residency. I think a lot of what you are talking about is just a big difference in culture between USA and Anglo (Uk/Oz/Kiwi) culture. In the USA we party like crazy when we are young but move on to other things as we get older. While there are a lot of bars in the USA they are not such a central part of our socializing. Most guys after they finish their school days go out to chase girls etc. Hard core local pubs are mostly for older guys from a shrinking population. Anglo culture is different from Yank culture. The "Pub" is a big center of socializing and getting to know someone better.

It is sort of institutionalized in the culture.In the USA I don't remember too much business being done over heavy drinking sessions. Maybe a Golf Course --- but usually it was more of a get to the bottom line approach. When I moved to Asia and found myself sometimes doing business with guys from Oz and UK ---- it always required meeting up for a few beers first in order to size each other up.

I think the drinking references you are seeing here is just an extension of Anglo Pub Culture. I would not be to judgmental about it.

:beer3:

Cheers,
RD

Good point as I was a bit perplexed as to what the op's gripe was. I never really noticed any over reference to drinking in any of the posts, but living a large part of my life in the UK, South Africa and Australia I probably wouldn't. :D Anyway just to further the idea that CEO is the "Drinking Mans Forum" here's a short documentary (22mins) on the British Pub. " The documentary explores the British Pub, its significance to the community in the U.K". :beer3: Posted in the interest of furthering Anglo American relations :lol:
http://vimeo.com/47944039
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Kuroneko wrote:

Good point as I was a bit perplexed as to what the op's gripe was. I never really noticed any over reference to drinking in any of the posts, but living a large part of my life in the UK, South Africa and Australia I probably wouldn't. :D Anyway just to further the idea that CEO is the "Drinking Mans Forum" here's a short documentary (22mins) on the British Pub. " The documentary explores the British Pub, its significance to the community in the U.K". :beer3: Posted in the interest of furthering Anglo American relations :lol:
http://vimeo.com/47944039

Interesting. And yes where you come from makes a big difference.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

StroppyChops wrote:Anyone tried anything from Matso's Brewery in Broome? They're stocked nationally in Oz now, boutique ales and lagers so expensive, but mighty mighty fine.

Ah, YES, been there, they had some excellent beers.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ I got through their taster selection, I was impressed.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Holidayed in Broome in 2007 and went there several times - for me, it was probably some of the best beer I've ever had in Oz, or anywhere else, really good stuff.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Their ginger beer can mess you up really quickly on a hot day, they go down far too easily.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Playboy
Lord Gayboy
Great Britain

Post by Playboy »

Is this still the only drinking thread on BottyStabbersInc ?

... and you call yourselves a Cambodia Expatiate Forum ??? Shame on you !
Actively seeking Thai Ladyboys to sexually dominate me. Please inquire within.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Playboy wrote:Is this still the only drinking thread on BottyStabbersInc ?

We practise, we don't preach! :beer3:
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

ali baba wrote:All that talk of alcohol and milk made me thirsty for a white russian and since you asked soi dog; the last time I drank was on my birthday 2 months ago. I got totally shitfaced with my friends.
Yeo's soy bean drank is a great chaser for Hennessey.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Playboy wrote:Is this still the only drinking thread on BottyStabbersInc ?

Just for you, LoL...

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=1308
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic