ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: ONLY RIEL FOR REAL?

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote: I have some issues with Reil.
1. The notes can be confusing. the 5,s and 10's are almost the same. As are the 100's and 500's. I find I'm always staring to see which is which when at night.
What 5's and 10's?
5000 & 10,000
I thought that, but then what does this mean?:
As are the 100's and 500's.
100,000 and 500,000? I've never heard of those notes. Maybe JSP is talking about 100/ 500 Riel price discrepancies though? That would be terribly interesting.
Come on JSP, please let us know about this 200 Riel banana overcharging mafia before we all get extorted to death. Please buddy?

All the same...
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

juansweetpotato wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote: I have some issues with Reil.
1. The notes can be confusing. the 5,s and 10's are almost the same. As are the 100's and 500's. I find I'm always staring to see which is which when at night.
What 5's and 10's?
5000 & 10,000
I thought that, but then what does this mean?:
As are the 100's and 500's.
100,000 and 500,000? I've never heard of those notes. Maybe JSP is talking about 100/ 500 Riel price discrepancies though? That would be terribly interesting.
Come on JSP, please let us know about this 200 Riel banana overcharging mafia before we all get extorted to death. Please buddy?

All the same...
get real youre really reeling over which riel is real? %) haha

i dont always struggle as when i go to the ATM it just comes out in crisp brand new 10,000's and my 5000s are normally old
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Never chosen the Riel option. Is it ossible to choose the 20K notes? I like those the best. No one ever asks 'have small' with a fiver. But for a 1K withdraw tht's 200 notes. I'll stick to the US $ while & where & when it is accepted. But I'll wager a 20K Riel on you in your next bout Jamie. :bow:
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

franzjaeger wrote:It's just the biggest note is 20000, that's a fiver, kind of sucks if you are shopping bulk few times a week at a supermarket.
I just hand them a 50 or hundred. And keep the riel for parking fees.

Of course the gf uses riel when doing her shopping at the local market, where dollars are a no no.
I made a withdrawal in Sathapana today and was given notes of 100k Riel. I asked for smaller denominations and they gave me the "ot mien" routine which was obviously a lie but I couldn't be bothered to argue. Will be interesting to see what the money-changers make of them.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

walkjivefly wrote:
franzjaeger wrote:It's just the biggest note is 20000, that's a fiver, kind of sucks if you are shopping bulk few times a week at a supermarket.
I just hand them a 50 or hundred. And keep the riel for parking fees.

Of course the gf uses riel when doing her shopping at the local market, where dollars are a no no.
I made a withdrawal in Sathapana today and was given notes of 100k Riel. I asked for smaller denominations and they gave me the "ot mien" routine which was obviously a lie but I couldn't be bothered to argue. Will be interesting to see what the money-changers make of them.
100,000r notes?! :O
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
I've never seen one of the new 2013 ones, and I often withdraw large amounts of Riel from the ATM.

I've seen a very few of these early 90s ones around:

While I'm at it, I can't remember ever seeing a 50.000 Riel note either:

And a supposedly newer edition:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
I've never seen one of the new 2013 ones, and I often withdraw large amounts of Riel from the ATM.

I've seen a very few of these early 90s ones around:

While I'm at it, I can't remember ever seeing a 50.000 Riel note either:

And a supposedly newer edition:

ive come across 50,000's a couple of times, not sure ever in my possession thought but ive held at least one before,
the 100,000s thought ive never seen, even when withdrawling large sums of money, ABA only give out 10,000's kind of annoying when you taking out 400,000r :(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic