Amazon Firestick +Kodi

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brewer
Expatriate

Re: Amazon Firestick +Kodi

Post by Brewer »

I've got Kodi on my two laptops (one W8.1, one Linux) and also on a Firestick. If you have decent wi-fi and a fast and robust connection into the router it works really well. Bear in mind, a Firestick only works on wi-fi but the Amazon Fire TV box can be connected to a router by an ethernet cable, if necessary.

Obviously, if you have a shit connection, neither will be much fun to use because of the buffering and freezing. How is streaming usually- Youtube, iPlayer if you have a vpn, sports streams? If the answer is usually it is fine the Firestick will be equally fine. A good test would be if you use Acestream for anything on a device over your wi-fi. Acestream is usually high quality, high bitrate so if that works Firestick and Kodi will work.

One point I would add here is that most of the stuff streamed on Kodi, assuming you find a working link to your desired content, is great. The exception, in my experience, is live streaming - especially sports. If you want to watch Premier League football, the Superbowl, F1 etc, then Acestream or another stream site direct link works better.

When it comes to the add-ons you'll need to get the free tv and films etc, it's not hard once you have Kodi on the stick. There are "builds", which bundle many of the most desirable ones in one package. The one I use is "The Beast". Also, if you install Ares Wizard (can't remember if it comes on the Beast build), that gives you easy install options for other add-ons.

That seo-michael site cptrelentless posted holds a wealth of info on setting up and managing Kodi and the Firestick.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

super replies guys!
thanks a bunch!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I run Kodi on a Raspberry Pi. TBH I usually download stuff to my laptop and just use the Kodi to watch it on my TV. Watching and streaming tv/movies live has mixed results. Sometimes perfect, other times buffering and I give up. My internet is 6 Mbps fibre, but I think the bigger issue is Cambodia's external bandwidth capacity (or lack).
I am interested in knowing more about your experience with raspberry Pi timmydown a well.
I imagine you could use this to create a metropolitan mesh topology wifi network that would uplink to the internet at the nearest node on the network.
a server onboard offers some interesting opportunities for local http information to be offered within a cell/region too.

it looks a really cool cheap device with many commercial applications.
too bad unlucky burger no longer posts here. he would probably have some interesting views on this amazing little device.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

frank lee bent wrote: I am interested in knowing more about your experience with raspberry Pi timmydown a well.
I imagine you could use this to create a metropolitan mesh topology wifi network that would uplink to the internet at the nearest node on the network.
a server onboard offers some interesting opportunities for local http information to be offered within a cell/region too.

it looks a really cool cheap device with many commercial applications.
too bad unlucky burger no longer posts here. he would probably have some interesting views on this amazing little device.
To be honest I have only played with Kodi on mine. I started with OpenELEC but found it a bit unstable (freezing/crashing) but I switched to OSMC and that's pretty good. The live TV/movie streaming apps do tend to come and go, which is a bit annoying but you get what you pay for in the end.

The Rpi has all kinds of applications tho as you say, and it's spawned dozens of similar devices as well. Great toy to dabble with if you have the time.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i am thinking mesh topology routing on the reserved lan ip range.
a decent antenna and a few of these on top of buildings in ad hoc mode you could blanket a large area for low cost. with an apache server and dhcp on board it could be interesting.
would beat the fucked up airport style wifi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic