AEON Mall Phnom Penh Opening 20 June

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
giblet
Expatriate

Re: AEON Mall Phnom Penh Opening 20 June

Post by giblet »

starkmonster wrote:The supermarket is fucking creepy, there is a member of staff stood at the end of each isle and as you walk past they do an awkward Japanese style bow, if you walk fast it's like a bloody Mexican wave.
What's the supermarket? Any interesting offerings?
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

So does anyone know when it's open to the public? I've heard that the 20th was a special soft-opening, their website says the 27th, and someone else posted the 30th? I'm not a VIP and I'd like to be there on the first day. Thanks!

PS: After 16 years in SE Asia, this is an event I'd like to experience. :P
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I took the family yesterday. Absolute disaster.
The 'so-called' foodcourt is open but totally disorganized. Overcrowded with people standing around eating and others were actually sitting on the floor.

Free advice - Wait another 3 - 6 months. They might have their sh*t together by then.

:popcorn:
starkmonster
Expatriate

Post by starkmonster »

giblet wrote:
starkmonster wrote:The supermarket is fucking creepy, there is a member of staff stood at the end of each isle and as you walk past they do an awkward Japanese style bow, if you walk fast it's like a bloody Mexican wave.
What's the supermarket? Any interesting offerings?
I didn't have a good look, the bowing was freaking me out.
starkmonster
Expatriate

Post by starkmonster »

chkwoot wrote:So does anyone know when it's open to the public? I've heard that the 20th was a special soft-opening, their website says the 27th, and someone else posted the 30th? I'm not a VIP and I'd like to be there on the first day. Thanks!

PS: After 16 years in SE Asia, this is an event I'd like to experience. :P
The first day the whole mall was open but after that only the Aeon section was open (until the 30th), so that means most of the mall is currently closed.
starkmonster
Expatriate

Post by starkmonster »

It's actually a retarded move, they should have just waited until the 30th for everything. Anyone who goes before the 30th will get a bad first impression.

The first day I went with my kids it was pretty cool, I went again on the Saturday with my wife and it was chaos with the other half closed off, just too many people.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I wish they would put in a DIY center like some of the malls in Singapore have (for the handyman.) Having just returned from a shopping trip in Singapore, this mall would be a real letdown, but its nice to see something modern in the capitol. In Singapore the subway goes right into the giant Vivo mall from where you can continue on by monorail to Universal Studio and Santosa Island, and the MRT also drops you off in the hearth of mall central at Orchard Road. It seems most every good size above ground stop on the Singapore MRT has a big mall. Any news on a PP bus system? Arriving by moto or Tuk-tuk to a big modern mall seems kind of tacky. BTW/ PP to Singapore RT for under $200. on Tiger Air is a real deal.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

^ I think home top is a bit like "for the handyman", though I've never been there I've only heard it described that way.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Home Top has a startling selection of stuff, marginally pricey, and really eclectic. Worth a visit just to have a look at the process on the luxury furniture on the third floor. Try walking up to the fourth floor just to see how the staff cut you of while explaining there's nothing up there yet.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

That classic black Rolls around town seems connected to Home Top in some way.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic