A movie we - sadly - never had a chance to see

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

A movie we - sadly - never had a chance to see

Post by mammothboy2 »

When - O When - can we see it ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/0 ... rlds-most/

Many of have seen the Anthony Quinn / Oliver Reed hagiographic movie bankrolled by the Gadhaffi state about the life of Omar Mokhar 'Lion of the Desert' -
one assumes / guesses this to be much the same, except set in a more complex political environment (a puppet monarchy supported by the very wicked
British colonialists-imperialists and oil interests and opposed by noble and selfless Iraqi Arab patriots.

The odd thing is that that the Arab political and cultural renaissance occurred in those countries directly or indirectly under the thumb of Britain and France,
not in the one and only truly independent* Arab country, Yemen. Yemen, far fremoved from the cultural and political ferment in Lebanon, Syria, Egypt and
Iraq, slumbered in the Middle Ages.

* It will be recalled that Ibn Saud was receiving generous British subsidies and had received a British decoration. It is nonsense to assert, as Gadhaffi did for
many wearisome years, that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was the creation of British imperialism, but there was a teeny grain of truth in the claim.
table42
Expatriate

Re: A movie we - sadly - never had a chance to see

Post by table42 »

Interesting tidbit of information. I had no clue this film existed.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Re: A movie we - sadly - never had a chance to see

Post by mammothboy2 »

And here is another, far more recent film ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/0 ... ert-storm/

One has immediate misgivings about anything churned out by the mainstream movie industry; redblooded Hollywood heart-throb Robert Redford cast as Old Etonian
Finch-Hatton and so on.

Actually, it's astonishing that anyone with the money to make a movie can possibly assume that Americans are anything but sick, sorry and tired of the very mention of
Iraq and the entire f*ck*ng Middle East.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic