Loud bang heard st 154 & 51

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Degbie
Tourist

Re: Loud bang heard st 154 & 51

Post by Degbie »

table42 wrote:Scary times indeed. No one has hidden their true colors. The fan is running waiting for the shit to hit.
possibly the reason for many business selling up? the country up shit creek again ?
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Degbie wrote:possibly the reason for many business selling up? the country up shit creek again ?
It's been building up since the last election but I think bad tourist business has to be factored in too. The number of visitors is up but it wasn't a bumper year in the cash registers compared with previous ones
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
Degbie
Tourist

Post by Degbie »

table42 wrote:
Degbie wrote:possibly the reason for many business selling up? the country up shit creek again ?
It's been building up since the last election but I think bad tourist business has to be factored in too. The number of visitors is up but it wasn't a bumper year in the cash registers compared with previous ones
lot of barfly's in sinoukville predict that something big was gonna happen soon.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Here goes the Something big is gonna happen" again. Nothing will happen, HE has the Army and police well in his pocket.

Businesses are selling because the number of bars/guest houses/hotels has grown at a much faster pace than the number of tourists. Add to that land prices and rents that have gone crazy and 50-Cent beers and room rates that are free-falling and it is hard to make a buck.
Degbie
Tourist

Post by Degbie »

hanno wrote:Here goes the Something big is gonna happen" again. Nothing will happen, HE has the Army and police well in his pocket.

Businesses are selling because the number of bars/guest houses/hotels has grown at a much faster pace than the number of tourists. Add to that land prices and rents that have gone crazy and 50-Cent beers and room rates that are free-falling and it is hard to make a buck.
yeh they there jacking up prices trying to make cambodia a boutique destination , ,y opinion first clen up the trash piles and poverty before you raise prices and become a boutique destination
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

hanno wrote:Here goes the Something big is gonna happen" again. Nothing will happen, HE has the Army and police well in his pocket.

agreed, its always the unexpected that caught the government by surprise, i.e. small garment factory protest that turns violent etc

btw gunshots dont produce loud bang, more like some muted metal clanging sound, very disappointing, thats why hollywood added sound effects to gunshots
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

hanno wrote:
Here goes the Something big is gonna happen" again. Nothing will happen, HE has the Army and police well in his pocket

I both appreciate your cynicism and hope you are right. However simply because the outcome is predictable does not mean nothing will happen.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

plan for the worst but hope for the best, just stay as far away as possible and stash some food / booze just in case, curfew goes into effect
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic