Tap Water...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: Tap Water...

Post by flying chicken »

I drank rain water for 3 months when I was in Svay Rieng, in my opinion it tastes better than the 500 riel bottled water. I drank tap water (coming from the well) a few times, not only it tastes bad, it also gave me diarrhea.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Duncan wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:
Digg3r wrote:I drank the tap water in Phnom Penh heaps of times without any problems. It was just that last time I did it that made me violently ill for a few days. Never again.
Likely the pipes/fixtures more than the water..

. PP water is chlorinated to fuck and back.
No, I've got to dis agree with you on that one. Firstly why would PP Water supplies want to waste money on over using chlorine when it is of no advantage to the company financially .Secondly , if you use a water distiller you will find that after all the water has been boiled away , you are left with all the residue like Aluminium Sulphate , Chlorine, and other chemical's that need a higher than boiling point to evaporate them, plus '' dirt ''. The reside can be sent away for testing , which I did a few years ago and the results compared with my home town city in Australia made PP water well above the average for drinking. I'm not saying that every day the water is the same because some days it will vary due to back flushing and pipe breakage and repairs

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/special-re ... r-or-there
Jan Rosenboom, Country Team Leader of the World Bank's Water and Sanitation program since 2003, is quick to affirm the quality of PPWSA's supply.
[...]
However, it is not the possibility of biological contamination from outdated storage units which deters most residents from drinking tap water, but the chemicals added by the PPWSA to combat bacterial contamination.

"The funny thing," Ronsenboom says, "is that both in and outside of Phnom Penh, many people aren't aware of chlorine and don't like the taste or smell, so they're suspicious and won't drink the water. But if you can smell the chlorine, it means that there is no bacteria and the water is absolutely safe to drink."
Why? Because they're trying to meet established standards of water safety. And that was back in 2009.

But it's nice that Dr. Scott suggest people buy more bottled water to increase the litter problem in the country.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Water in Phnom Penh is safe to drink. The issue is that it is often over-chlorinated. Letting it sit for a while seems to help. The problem is that many times the tanks that the water comes through (on the roof of your building, for example) are often not clean. So while the supply is clean, the water is not always.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Stop. Stupid idea to trust the tap water here. Paying a little bit of money could save you a week on the shitter.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

I'm actually in this line of business. The water is fine. But I do not trust the piping. I do believe on the hotter days the chemicals in the pipes leach into the water. Despite many telling me otherwise the the blue pipes are safe. I have seen blue shavings in my filter. Possibly cause the pipes were recently installed.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

As a farm boy I trust the PVC pipe over anything that could have been joined with lead. I'm told heavy metals in the water (yes, I know we're talking about arsenic) are a major problem in Cambodge, does anyone know what testing is done for them in the city water supply?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

it tested periodically by both govt and none for profits.

As a farm boy I trust the PVC pipe over anything that could have been joined with lead.

It should never be joined with lead in the first place. I dont know what they do in Australia but drinking water is never supplied by pvc in the states.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I drink the tap water. It tastes bad because of the chlorine and occasionally it comes out milky or cloudy but the 20l bottles are too much hassle to replace constantly. Get a filter if you want.
Scarier than malaria.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Jacobincambodia wrote:Stop. Stupid idea to trust the tap water here. Paying a little bit of money could save you a week on the shitter.
Untrue. Within Nutbush (PP) City Limits, the water is fine. If you are getting a bill from the municipality it's OK. I drink from the tap, no problem for 5 years.

I stopped boiling water after a friend of mine did analysis of the water in 15 different municipal locations, all fine.

Coca Cola and other assorted scam artists would love you to fall for the scare-mongering.

You are more at danger from the street food stalls.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The Add Jay wrote:it tested periodically by both govt and none for profits.

As a farm boy I trust the PVC pipe over anything that could have been joined with lead.

It should never be joined with lead in the first place. I dont know what they do in Australia but drinking water is never supplied by pvc in the states.
Always copper pipe by code in Oz (I believe), but what happens on farms when the water commission is not looking is a different proposition.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic