Cambodia's Impossible Dream: Koh Tral

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's Impossible Dream: Koh Tral

Post by Username Taken »

giblet wrote:How is everyone viewing Khmerization? I'm on Metfone and can't get to it and Hide My Ass gives me this message: Sorry, this proxy does not allow the requested site (khmerization.blogspot.com) to be viewed.

I'm dying to read all of the comments there.
Waste of time really.
Most of the comments are unrelated to the article. Just stupid comments about CPP, CNRP and yuon dogs.

Check the verbal diarhorea from this guy 'Kmenhwatt'. According to him this is a photo of the writer.

:lol:
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Using Tapatalk
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

JBTrain wrote:Hansum man.

Here's a pdf:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/edjxfi50wncj9 ... ot-com.pdf
Thank you. Apparently you realized that while I tried again to access the site I'd get distracted and start reading the latest issue of Country Smallholding.

I think I'm losing brain cells reading this. The comments about dog meat and mercury are class.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

I've cracked the case. The bumblers at Khmerization unwittingly led me to Alexander Hamilton's1718 journal which establishes that by the time of his visit Koh Tral was empty, abandoned for fear of pirates. The Vietnamese settled an empty island. For better or worse, done.

http://books.google.com.kh/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y
Using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

One of the points I brought up with my ongoing saga with Mengly was "why do the khmer even WANT that island..? they barely use the ones they already have."
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Nice find. Not sure if that settles their claims legally-speaking, but it goes so far back that once more, it's a bit far-fetched to make claims about an island you haven't effectively controlled or populated for hundreds of years...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Nice find. Not sure if that settles their claims legally-speaking, but it goes so far back that once more, it's a bit far-fetched to make claims about an island you haven't effectively controlled or populated for hundreds of years...
No Cambodia can still claim they held sovereignty over an empty island but they don't have anything to back up a continuous claim of either sovereignty or occupation after the early 18th century.

What this does though is fill in an important piece of the puzzle of the island's history. I had suggested that perhaps Thai invaders had depopulated the island, now we have a pretty solid explanation that confirms the island was indeed depopulated before the arrival of the Viets but with pirates as the villains. Fascinating stuff.
Using Tapatalk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Interesting history stepping back, it appears the Saleeters were another name for the Cellates, which was a name at the time for the people from Melaka in Malaysia...

Reference to Saleeters being Cellates (in footnotes 2 p237):
http://books.google.com.kh/books?id=TWj ... rs&f=false

Reference of the Cellates being the people of Melaka (in footnotes 53 p507):
http://books.google.com.kh/books?id=0x1 ... es&f=false
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I'm now curious what route they would have traveled to come so far... it would have had to have either been around the point then up around the gulf (most likely with the references of their fighting Siam on behalf of Paramsevara of Singapore), or off through the Riau Islands, up the coast of Malaysia, then through the Spratly Islands. Either way, I bet there are some interesting stories from encounters with them. I may have to pick up those two books on my Kindle and give them a read.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

So their argument is that it should belong to Cambodia because it's directly off the shore of Cambodia? I sort of get that argument (legalities notwithstanding). Maybe it should be Cambodia's in theory, but it's not and it won't be.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic