Government Issues Final ‘Samdech’ Warning

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

BY KHUON NARIM AND GEORGE WRIGHT | JULY 8, 2016 | អានជាភាសាខ្មែរ

The Ministry of Information gave a final warning to media outlets on Thursday, ordering that they refer to Prime Minister HE and select officials with their honorific “Samdech” or face legal action, while a ministry official said insubordination could lead to the termination of licenses.

Media outlets were first ordered in December to start using the honorific. In May, the ministry set a June deadline for newspapers and broadcasters registered in Cambodia to start referring to Mr. HE and top CPP officials as “Samdech,” a royally bestowed honorific that translates roughly as “the greatest.”

full-story........https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/gove ... ng-115158/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Government Issues Final ‘Samdech’ Warning

HE Canceled the Instruction for the News Outlet for Using Leaders Titles

According to Thmey Thmey News, HE, the prime minister of Cambodia declared in the meeting with ministries on the morning 08 July 2016 that he canceled the instruction by ministry of information for news outlet to use leader titles which were given by the king Norodom Sihakmony.

The decision of the prime minister HE was published by Phay Siphan, the spokesman of the council of ministers.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Saving face. Dismissed.
:stir:
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

"“Samdech,” a royally bestowed honorific that translates roughly as “the greatest.”
Following in the footsteps of Samdech Mohammed Ali?
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

PM Nixes ‘Samdech’ Order Amid Defiance

BY KUCH NAREN | JULY 9, 2016

Less than 24 hours after the Information Ministry issued a final warning to media organizations that have refused to refer to Prime Minister HE and select officials as “Samdech,” the premier announced on Friday that he had overruled the directive.

Journalists were first ordered to refer to Mr. HE by the royally bestowed honorific—which translates roughly as “The Greatest”—in December. A follow-up directive instructing media organizations to begin using the title by July 1 went mostly unheeded, and the ministry issued a final warning on Thursday, with an official adding that insubordinate outlets could see their licenses revoked.

But amid heavy online criticism, Mr. HE took to Facebook on Friday to announce that the title was not necessary after all.

full story...https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/pm-n ... ce-115226/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia PM HE in honorary title U-turn

The Cambodian Prime Minister HE has shelved the requirement for media to refer to him as "Lord Prime Minister and Supreme Military Commander."

Previously the country's information ministry had informed media outlets they were always to use the full title on first reference.

The move comes days after local media were sent a final warning to that effect.

Journalists in Cambodia say it is not yet clear what prompted the change.

This week, local media reported that they had been given a final warning by the Ministry of Information on the order to refer to HE by his honorary title in Khmer, "Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo", which translates roughly to "Lord Prime Minister and Supreme Military Commander."

However, on Friday, HE himself wrote on his Facebook page (in Khmer) that "it is not necessary to write that title if journalists don't want to use it.

"But [they] should respect the code of ethics and [find] concrete sources to avoid sharing the wrong information," he added.

full story....http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36742894

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic