UN Criticizes Cambodian Government.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UN Criticizes Cambodian Government.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

World Is Watching, Government Told After UN Meeting
Following global condemnation of the Cambodian government at a meeting of the U.N. Human Rights Council last week, rights groups sent a message to the ruling party on Tuesday that the world would not “turn a blind eye” to its efforts to stifle the opposition and other critics.
The statement, signed by seven local and international rights organizations, highlights the widespread criticism of the government during the 32nd session of the U.N. Human Rights Council, which concluded on Friday in Geneva...

Carl Thayer, a Southeast Asia expert at the Australian Defense Force Academy, said Mr. HE would likely continue to shrug off criticism until making the necessary moves to appease foreign donors as local elections approach next year...

“At the moment we are seeing a test of political wills. HE plays this game well and when the moment is ripe he will make just the right concessions to prevent the invocation of sanctions against his government.”
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/worl ... ng-115070/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: UN Criticizes Cambodian Government.

Post by John Bingham »

Jeez, how long has this game of cat and mouse been played out for?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jasonkhm
Tourist

Post by Jasonkhm »

Whoa. Look out. The UN is threatening to actually do something. Of course nothing will happen. Toothless tiger.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

"Jeez, how long has this game of cat and mouse been played out for?"

It had its beginnings in the Untac period. Not sure when with previous administrations.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

So when will the UN do something about the illegal Saudi invasion of Yemen that kills thousands each year?

Nah, better just complain about completely irrelevant SE Asian countries that have been at peace for 15 years.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote:Jeez, how long has this game of cat and mouse been played out for?
As far as i've read and heard, it's the exact same game that is played out in all the LDC's, certainly the one's I've been to. As long as they support western free trade they are tolerated. Aid is often just handed out as business sweeteners.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic