Jobs for the family

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Jobs for the family

Post by Duncan »

This is a question for our Cambodian members.
How do you view the fact that almost no government jobs are advertised, so the best qualified applicants are selected for the jobs. How do any of the thousands of University students that finish their education get a chance at government jobs, unless they know someone already working in a gov department. A recent case where the head of the corruption unit , appointed his two sons to work in the department is a classic case that comes to my mind.
Somewhere along the line in the next 20 years this has to change and must change or Cambodia will always have family idiots making idiotic decisions in their own self interests, and Cambodia will never catch up with the development of it's neighbouring countries.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Jobs for the family

Post by Luigi »

It's self (family) preservation. What possible motivation would they have to change their MO?
As long as I get my slice of the pie why would I give a fuk whether cambo progresses?
:stir:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

There is no surprise for this. If you have connection working in the government the chance of you getting a job with the government is really high. Actually government jobs were advertised but not hugely on internet or media. Normally at each ministry that need more staff, the ministry would print out a list or lists of needed positions and stick it or them on the information board inside the ministry. That's why you need to go to each ministry to find out about the announcement by yourself. However, the thing is that you really don't know when they need staff unless people who work in that ministry tell you. So, you will be able to go there and look for more information and requirements.

some people took pictures of the announcements and posted them on facebook, however it is always late. To apply for government jobs is really like pain in the arse. Just to fill and prepare your application, it might take month or months. They need a lot of documents from you even though you just apply for the examination to get the job.

You need to get all your certificates certified by the city hall, which will be take weeks and then you need to get your birth certificate certified by the local authority where you were born.

some of my friends got government jobs without connection. I guess, recently if you have knowledge and do good in the exam. You might get the job.
BTW, i have never applied for government job as i hate the long procedures and i might not be able to work with corrupted people.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Thanks' for your answer Samouth. I thought that's how it would be. What really is needed is a separate employment agency that does the recruitment for all gov vacancies, but that would be asking a bit too much for Cambodia.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

So you are planing to encourage your sponsored children to apply for government jobs? I guess in the future, working for the government is good when there are less corruptions.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Samouth wrote:So you are planing to encourage your sponsored children to apply for government jobs? I guess in the future, working for the government is good when there are less corruptions.

True story.

When the school teacher asked the kids in the class of my, now 7 year old girl , what they wanted to be when they grew up , you can imagine the replies the teacher would have got,,, until she asked the 7 year old .

Her answer was ,, I want to be a Prime Minister. Why,, because prime ministers can do everything . They can , [ long list of ,,,]
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Duncan wrote:
Samouth wrote:So you are planing to encourage your sponsored children to apply for government jobs? I guess in the future, working for the government is good when there are less corruptions.
True story.

When the school teacher asked the kids in the class of my, now 7 year old girl , what they wanted to be when they grew up , you can imagine the replies the teacher would have got,,, until she asked the 7 year old .

Her answer was ,, I want to be a Prime Minister. Why,, because prime ministers can do everything . They can , [ long list of ,,,]
it is good to be ambiguous and we have never had a female prime minister yet. BTW, i am afraid that she was wrong thinking that prime minister could do everything.

willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Nepotism is a curse in the third world, it all goes back to the family thing.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

willyhilly wrote:Nepotism is a curse in the third world, it all goes back to the family thing.
Yes absolutely nepotism and favoritism are the problem in Cambodia, however things are slowly becoming better.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic