New in Sihanoukville - a few questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Lex
Expatriate

New in Sihanoukville - a few questions

Post by Lex »

Can anyone suggest a decent monthly guesthouse in the Golden Lions/Beach Rd area? The prices I've heard mentioned are around $150 for a small room, but I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for a nicer room, within reason.

Any other places or things I should check out for daily entertainment? I saw Victory Hill last night but it seems like it's just a isolated mongering spot.

Golden lion gym is my closest workout option?

Also I've never ridden a motorcycle and it's been a while since a bicycle... Perhaps brush up on a bike and then learn the moto? Has anyone ridden a 4 wheeler around town? Pretty sure I saw a barang on a 3 wheeler last night.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: New in Sihanoukville - a few questions

Post by SinnSisamouth »

ive seen a few three wheelers around but they look pretty uncomfortable and seem to have fixed axles so youll struggle to turn corners!

the quad bikes are equally as unstable and are more likely to flip you off
i had a look at a few close up and the maintenances is worse than on motos. plus youll look a right twat riding one!

equally I wouldnt recommend a bycicle but if you dont have experience on a moto (never mind a licence) id stear well clear,unless you have good insurance. even then the medical care here usnt like the west.

stick to motodops,tuk tuk or walking.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

if youre staying around the golden lions then you will rarely need your moto if youve got no interest in going up to victory hill, everything you need can be got around that area
theres lots of monthly rentals around near the sunday guesthouse turn off, go take a ride around that area, lots of new apartments have gone up over the past year ranging from 100-350 on average depending on what you like
if youre looking at renting a bike the average price for a decent airblade youre looking at around $80 per month, make sure it has plates, and brush up on the moto laws so when a copper asks for a $20 bribe you can tell him to fuck off
but if you dont have experience riding id steer clear...
sihanoukvilles pretty quite this time of year
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

You should ask Frank and his snake about the 4 wheeler thing.

Jamie will help you get in touch with him.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

If you want round the golden lion gym (Sunday St) take a look at the road that runs parallel behind, there's a brand new apartment block just as you come off Sereypheap (road down from Orange Supermarket). If you take the roads down the hill from Sunday St (sit at the gym and look out, there's three) there are blocks and gated communes down each of them, should have a phone number on the front. I think Anchor Moy lives down one of them, but apparently there's a load of noisy Russians opposite. Try avoid using an agent, as they'll just take an extra month off you and your rent will be higher. Take a look at the Sihanoukville Real Estate group on Facebook, I assume you're the dude who asked exactly the same questions on FB - https://www.facebook.com/groups/333298533478529. There's a villa by Ochheuteal beach going for $2500... Oh, and don't rent off of a Russian, they're asking stupid money. Stay away from that shithole estate on the hill going to Otres.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Lex, now is a good time for you to practice some of the skills you lost since you were a kid . Skills like walking. This will go hand in hand with the other skills you have lost like , exercise , and you will not have to spend so long in the gym, which in turn will save you money to spend on a tuk-tuk when you really need one.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

cptrelentless wrote:If you want round the golden lion gym (Sunday St) take a look at the road that runs parallel behind, there's a brand new apartment block just as you come off Sereypheap (road down from Orange Supermarket). If you take the roads down the hill from Sunday St (sit at the gym and look out, there's three) there are blocks and gated communes down each of them, should have a phone number on the front. I think Anchor Moy lives down one of them, but apparently there's a load of noisy Russians opposite. Try avoid using an agent, as they'll just take an extra month off you and your rent will be higher. Take a look at the Sihanoukville Real Estate group on Facebook, I assume you're the dude who asked exactly the same questions on FB - https://www.facebook.com/groups/333298533478529. There's a villa by Ochheuteal beach going for $2500... Oh, and don't rent off of a Russian, they're asking stupid money. Stay away from that shithole estate on the hill going to Otres.
if youre talking about the street with the car/moto wash on the corner, its where ive been living all year, and the year before i was living on the next street up, love that area, theres 2 new apartment blocks on my street, ones around 350$ per month, the one thats lit up at night, and the other across the street is around the 150-180$, my place was a bit further up near the little KTV at the end of the street, was only 130$ and i had the cheapest electric bills in cambodia there lol just a little block of 7 rooms
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Duncan wrote:Lex, now is a good time for you to practice some of the skills you lost since you were a kid . Skills like walking. This will go hand in hand with the other skills you have lost like , exercise , and you will not have to spend so long in the gym, which in turn will save you money to spend on a tuk-tuk when you really need one.
haha i drive my moto from bar to bar on the square! the true definition of lazy lol
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

just go a bit away from there for a swim OP.
the water quality is much higher on every other beach.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Lex wrote:Can anyone suggest a decent monthly guesthouse in the Golden Lions/Beach Rd area? The prices I've heard mentioned are around $150 for a small room, but I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for a nicer room, within reason.

Any other places or things I should check out for daily entertainment? I saw Victory Hill last night but it seems like it's just a isolated mongering spot.

Golden lion gym is my closest workout option?

Also I've never ridden a motorcycle and it's been a while since a bicycle... Perhaps brush up on a bike and then learn the moto? Has anyone ridden a 4 wheeler around town? Pretty sure I saw a barang on a 3 wheeler last night.
Hey OP,
Did you find something ? There are buildings going up about every second day in the area that cpt and JL mentioned. Just about everyone with 5msq of backyard has built a block of flats for foreigners lol. Some of the constructions look crappy, but that's not a problem if you rent by the month - you can just move into a newer place next month. Unfortunately, they are also filling in swamplands, which combined with all the new concrete will cause problems in the longterm. Carpe diem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic