Report from a Stricken Land

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Report from a Stricken Land

Post by frank lee bent »

hotdigr, you cite an ak 47, but we are talking ar 15 here. a semi auto
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

Indeed the below has much to do with Islam. So would the ravings of a similarly deranged nut about the bad garbage pickup in this neighborhood be about garbage pickup. Or the ravings of a similarly deranged nut about his ex-wife's infidelity be about infidelity. But a resulting killing by any of the above-described, mass or individual, has only to do with the easy availability of guns.

In countries where guns are in fact only permitted to be owned by the modern equivalent of "well-regulated militias" [the cops and the army], you can have an equal or greater number of malicious loons, Islamic loons among them, but very few gun deaths, mass or otherwise.

=============================================================================
Orlando Police Dispatcher: Emergency 911, this is being recorded.

Omar Mateen: In the name of God the Merciful, the beneficent [said in Arabic]

OD: What?

Omar Mateen: Praise be to God, and prayers as well as peace be upon the prophet of God [said in Arabic]. I wanna let you know, I’m in Orlando and I did the shootings.

OD: What’s your name?

Omar Mateen: My name is I pledge of allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi of the Islamic State.

OD: Ok, What’s your name?

Omar Mateen: I pledge allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi may God protect him [said in Arabic], on behalf of the Islamic State.

OD: Alright, where are you at?

Omar Mateen: In Orlando.

OD: Where in Orlando?

[End of call.]
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Hotdigr wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:8 rounds/sec?
care to cite your source?
Yep - http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarm ... arms_id=19
Second paragraph " 600 rounds per minute" that would seem to me to equal an actual rate of 10 rounds per second or a 30 round mag (standard) in 2 seconds.
Wrong gun.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Otis wrote:Indeed the below has much to do with Islam. So would the ravings of a similarly deranged nut about the bad garbage pickup in this neighborhood be about garbage pickup. Or the ravings of a similarly deranged nut about his ex-wife's infidelity be about infidelity. But a resulting killing by any of the above-described, mass or individual, has only to do with the easy availability of guns.
Yeah, that's the narrative the anti-gun types are trying to push. It'll be intesting to see if it flies. I don't think the FBI's redacted 911 transcript of what Omar Mateen said, (in an apparent attempt to hide the truth from the American public,) did that narrative any favors yesterday. Nor did what Mateen said. If nothing else the Orlando shooting may be the most highly politicized mass shooting/terrorist attack in the US so far.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

"In countries where guns are in fact only permitted to be owned by the modern equivalent of "well-regulated militias" [the cops and the army], you can have an equal or greater number of malicious loons, Islamic loons among them, but very few gun deaths, mass or otherwise.*

Hey what about us hunters?
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

I am generally in favor of some sort of greater controls, but that was a pretty fluffy article, more about touting military 'expertise' (as if the military has any expertise in civilian law) than offering any new or creative ideas. And I must say that I find the idea of star chambers and official suspicions having any sway at all in who can buy a gun to be frighteningly Kafkaesque. Last thing we need.
LTO Cambodia Blog

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic