Kampot - costs of living

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Kampot - costs of living

Post by juansweetpotato »

I haven't been to Kampot for about 4 years now. It used to be the cheapest place that had tourists/expats. I always found most things to be 500R or so cheaper than SNVL. But things change all the time. $1000 -1500 does you well in SNVL. 1500-2000 in PP and I would say 800- 1000 in Kampot. Kep... Maybe same as PP. Never lived there, but it's expensive for a tourist.
Please update us on the Ecuador trip. I have been hearing good things (apart from the weather).
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

$1000 per month equates to $30 plus a day, I'm damn sure you can live a lot cheaper than that. I know I can .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Duncan wrote:$1000 per month equates to $30 plus a day, I'm damn sure you can live a lot cheaper than that. I know I can .
It is possible to live in Cambodia for about $1000 per year ( not including a doctor or dentist if you need them). I've had to do it, it's OK, but not my life choice really. I'd prefer to be doing that in India.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

i bot 1 of these aluminium box (lots of these in cambodia) lined the inside with fire retardant material, screw the whole box to the ground on the inside, and lock it with a big ass lock, as you will be living in a gated community i think any loud noises by any thieves would be very much avoided :beer3:

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

"pray tell, where do u live an do u do anything other than get by?
any traveling, own a car, motorcycle, eat out??"

I live in a rural.village of about 2,000 people. I speak five languages and am literate in four or them. I love my family and my life. Contrary to the idiom fun is not something you have,it is what you do. I go to Phnom Penh once a month to pick up my SS check. Each time I go, I thank whatever gods there may be that I no longer live and work there. Low battery more later if you want.

I mentioned the languages because it really helps me find books in book exchanges in guest houses and I can converse with many travelers who have a weak mastery of English.

We grow most of our fruits and vegetables, damned few exotics almost all local.

Once a year we take a family trip within Cambodia during school vacation(vakang thom) for a week or so. I recognize my two kids as Cambodian but I do want them to speak error free English, so I devote a chunk of time teaching them at home.

As for health as I get older it begins to show the wear and tear youth inflicted upon my body. This came as no surprise to me; somehow I knew I wasn't going to live forever.

In short, I have a full life that money cannot buy.
Last edited by table42 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

I love kampot, and visit from PP around once a month. Cleaner air and breezes clear my head. Eating out is cheaper than PP. I only rent 8 to 15 dollar rooms, but I often see in Kampot and Kep Facebook page some awesome properties available way cheaper than PP for the same standard. If I didn't have to work, I'd base myself down there for sure.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

KampotBound wrote: I do not need: Internet,
No internet? How will you be able to continue to update us after your arrival?
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Frankly, I don't understand moving to Cambodia for gracious living. Creature comforts here are a blessing most Khmer don't possess.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

here is Bluestar Real Estate in Kampot.
Cheaper places offline in real world
http://bluestar-realtygroup.com/index.p ... rent/house
KampotBound
Expatriate

Post by KampotBound »

Again, a big thank you for each post. I like those lock boxes.

Thanks for the link "Frank". I spoke to my buddy with the place in Kampot for a good bit yesterday. Now remember, I've visited him already, but it's been several years. He reported that the street he's on, indeed the one that had "Bar Red" for a short while in 2011 - 2012, he tells me things are more paved, many new restaurants on his street, which used to be desolate and dark and had may aggressive dogs in the area after 10PM. It's a prominent, narrow street, he may have one of the nicest places within a couple blocks of the river. He got it quite awhile ago (mid 2000s, one of the first wave of expats to buy property, i suppose he still rents the land, don't know...) He fixed it up significantly. Gorgeous place, tons of cool stone to lay on, big kitchen, many windows, open with good air flow, one / two blocks from river. I could see buying it from him in a few years if he let's it go. He has a thai wife but she won't visit him in Kampot, I get the why on that. So, he spends less time there now than he did b/f 2011 when he got married.

I could rent his place, but it's way more room than I need, and neither he nor I would have a roommate, unless it was the other of us. I don't feel i need to pay $500 for a place big enough for three adults western style.

So, there's much more going on there than when I visited! But... I very much understand the head scratching at why a guy about 50 without a g/f / wife would be happy in Kampot. You'd have to know me better to get that i might be able to handle it. I'm visiting for several months this winter. And not to offend anyone, but no I'm not gay, I'm hetero. And I'm definitely not looking for a khmer g/f, it'd take me a long time to trust the motives of any woman, from anywhere, for me to date over there. In time...

My buddy rents his house for a mere $500/mo when not there. So the cost estimates you've given me seem right on. He doesn't stay there all that much, and I could see myself using Kampot as my base, while I occasionally travel to Thailand / Vietnam as I wish - depending on how much i want to spend. I could also - maybe - find some work there to help pass some time. Apparently there is still a need for more live music there. I'm a bassist and a sound guy. I did FOH sound for several performances while there b/f - pretty rough sound systems - greenhouse, bodhivilla (sp?) and one or two other venues.

Who knows. I may hate it my next trip. I loved it in 2012, but am wondering if the deep sea port and recent development isn't too much for me. My buddy reports the growth driven by the govt is rather slow to actually happen, as I'd expect.

He pretty much confirmed what I've been told here. My nest egg can support me there at the level I want (since i could go up in budget sig., if required). I'm just a bit conservative, if Kampot doesn't work out I may end up somewhere else where costs are up to 100% higher (double). But my love for the Khmer / mixed-asian culture, extreme heat and humidity, insane rain and the native food is immeasurable.

Right now I live alone, have for four years, and for five years earlier in my adult life - g/fs I don't have live with me anymore. Was married 12 years long ago. To much b.s. I'm used to spending a few days at a time without seeing or talking to anyone, or driving my car. I'm in the Rockies, not near any big towns. Small groceries are a half hour each way, real groceries are an hour each way. I'm social, just also like a lot of time to myself. Material comforts are relative - my buddy has everything at his place I'd need, he can do it, I believe I can. But he gets restless, I know that.

A marihuana "bar" opened up in Kampot? Anyone can confirm this?

This isn't an uninformed move... I know life can be short and miserable there. Lots of trouble to get into. To much idle time.

Thanks for reminding me of all that - I take those issues very seriously.

Thank You!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic