Child Hawkers Doing the Nightshift - what do you do ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Child Hawkers Doing the Nightshift - what do you do ?

Post by phuketrichard »

i'd have to say
prostitution maybe the worlds oldest profession
but begging would come in number 2
I have given a few times BUT only to the old old ladies ( why do u seldom see old old men begging ? were they all killed?) and i see the khmers do as well.
kids. nope
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

The begging men are usually conspicuously crippled
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

mammothboy2 wrote:The begging men are usually conspicuously crippled
Until they get down the road and re-attach their prosthetic leg.

Then there was the time at the beach when the blind man came along singing Khmer songs whilst begging, then, when he was in front of where I was sitting, he began singing in English . . . . . "Oh, yes, I'm the great pretender, . . . ."

I kid you not.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I guess it was posted somewhere here that all these kids are being controlled by an adult who might have hired them from there parents. I also remembered that there was an article in which a couple arrested for hiring children to sell fruits from them. There were like 30 children in that house when police raided.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

knew a older black man in dc when i was young, used to beg in front of my grandfathers Jewelry store
spent every winter in Florida, told me , "beats working"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

juansweetpotato wrote: Is/has there never been an NGO that has focused on street kids? or is there just no money in it?

There are plenty of them. Mith Samlanh / Friends is one of the better-known ones.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote:knew a older black man in dc when i was young, used to beg in front of my grandfathers Jewelry store
spent every winter in Florida, told me , "beats working"

Times have not changed much. I still see lots of older white men [ and some women ] begging.

Mostly they are begging for your vote. Bloody politicians . [ yea, beats working ]
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic