Calling Kiwis - tickets PP to NZ ?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Calling Kiwis - tickets PP to NZ ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hi to any kiwis,

I'm looking for return plane tickets PP to NZ in Jan/Feb 2015 - dates are flexible, but need to stay at least 3 weeks in NZ. I thought I'd book early to get a good price, but it seems the price will be around U$ $1000 rtn - does that sound normal?

I can get a return to Europe for about $800 and hoped to pay about the same to NZ. Prices to NZ seem awfully inflated. I know that Jan is school holidays there, but some of the better prices to be had were on or around New Year.

Any kiwis out there who fly home from time to time? Any cunning plans ?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Calling Kiwis - tickets PP to NZ ?

Post by StroppyChops »

Can't help with your question (although the price seems right for return) but who would you fly with to get to Europe at 800? Can't seem to get it under 1100USD.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

My company just booked me a round trip flight on cheapo tickets... ya we have a great travel girl, for a one week stay and cost $1,800.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Some of the cheapest flights are from PP to Gold Coast , { Qld Australia ] via Malaysia by Air Asia. Then try from there to where ever you are going in NZ . You may even have to travel from the GC airport to Brisbane airport , which can be done by train, bus or shuttle bus as its only about 90 minuets north, so you can get to your final destination.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We left Australia through Cooloongatta (Gold Coast) with AirAsia and it was significant hundreds of dollars cheaper than via Brisbane.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Would even be worthwhile hiring a car for that trip.
Singularian
Expatriate

Post by Singularian »

The other alternative is Air Asia to KL or Singapore, then onwards from there by Emirates/Qantas.

Comng here i found the best way was Auckland/Sydney/KL/PP.

The best timng I could get was a max layover of 3hrs in KL, and 2.5hrs in Sydney.

Cost was around NZ$1100, so not much cheaper than what you've already found.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ok I'll have a look at going through Australia - at least it looks quick. Was that with Emirates? Malaysia Air fly PP-KL-AK, but with an overnight in KL.

Stroppy - for Europe, yes, $800 is probably the cheapest I've got - think it was with Vietnam Air to Paris.Either flies through Saigon or Vientiane and Hanoi - usually goes one way and comes back the other way - layovers quite brief - 2 to 3 hours. Think that is still about the best deal, depending on where you want to go. AMS-BKK-PP with KLM used to be quite cheap, but haven't used them for a while, so guess they aren't any more. One time the best offer was Korean Air, also to Paris - 8 mind-numbing hours in Seoul (lucky their seats are confortable & you can sleep), but was really cheap - also close to 800.

Booking tickets 6 months or more in advance saves at least $100 a ticket I reckon. Also being very flexible on dates - once saved a packet just by changing a departure date from Dec 1 to Nov 30 - also flexible with airports and use the trains.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ thanks Anchor Moy, hadn't considered Vietnam Air but quite like them as an airline.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Anchor Moy[b] wrote:Ok I'll have a look at going through Australia - at least it looks quick. Was that with Emirates? Malaysia Air fly PP-KL-AK, but with an overnight in KL.
[/b]
Stroppy - for Europe, yes, $800 is probably the cheapest I've got - think it was with Vietnam Air to Paris.Either flies through Saigon or Vientiane and Hanoi - usually goes one way and comes back the other way - layovers quite brief - 2 to 3 hours. Think that is still about the best deal, depending on where you want to go. AMS-BKK-PP with KLM used to be quite cheap, but haven't used them for a while, so guess they aren't any more. One time the best offer was Korean Air, also to Paris - 8 mind-numbing hours in Seoul (lucky their seats are confortable & you can sleep), but was really cheap - also close to 800.

Booking tickets 6 months or more in advance saves at least $100 a ticket I reckon. Also being very flexible on dates - once saved a packet just by changing a departure date from Dec 1 to Nov 30 - also flexible with airports and use the trains.
There are two low cost airlines which are subsidiaries of Singapore Airlines. Tiger Air run the PP to Sng route, and Scoot airlines do the Sng to Gold Coast route. I have used them both and they are OK. ,,, Then it's by Air Asia to Ak or Brisbane to Ak by Virgin.. Unless things have changed, I stand to be corrected as I'm to lazy to search.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic