Fully loaded speedboat ferries collide in second fatal boat accident this week.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Fully loaded speedboat ferries collide in second fatal boat accident this week.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Two speed boats collided in the sea off of Phuket. Two dead & 36 injured among mostly Korean & Chinese passengers.

UPDATE
Phuket speedboat collision: 2 dead, 36 injured in 2nd tourist boating accident this week.

PHUKET - The two tourists killed in a collision between two fully loaded speedboat ferries in the sea off Phuket were both Chinese nationals, Phuket governor Chamroen Thippyawpongthada said on Wednesday afternoon.He also said 36 other tourists were injured, an increase on the previously reported figure of 26.

The two boats, carrying 62 Chinese and South Korean tourists, collided in the Hin Musang (Musang Rock) area around 11.45am on Wednesday.

There were a total of 26 tourists on board the speedboat Chor Hongfa 20 and 36 tourists on the Chollakit 856.

The boats were heading from Phuket for Ao Phangnga national park in Phangna and Phi Phi island in Krabi.

The two people killed were Chinese passengers on the Chollakit 856, which sank after the collision.

The dead man was identified as Liang Grianfu and the dead woman as Yan Yang.

Of the 36 tourists treated for injuries, 34 of them were from the Chollakit 856.

The injured were being treated at Vachira Phuket Hospital, Mission Phuket Hospital, and a hospital run by the Phuket provincial administration organisation.

It was the second fatal boating accident involving tourists in less than a week.

On Sunday 28 people were injured when a speedboat carrying passengers back from an evening music concert on the island of Koh Samet smashed into a container ship.

Last month on May 27 at least three were killed in a Koh Samui speedboat tragedy...
http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/adv ... 36-injured
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Fully loaded speedboat ferries collide in second fatal boat accident this week.

Post by Luigi »

Does Thailand require any type of merchant marine licensing for crewing tourist vessels?
Does Thailand have an equal to the USCG as a watchdog agency?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Fully loaded speedboat ferries collide in second fatal boat accident this week.

Post by hanno »

Luigi wrote:Does Thailand require any type of merchant marine licensing for crewing tourist vessels?
Yes:

ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

hanno wrote:
Luigi wrote:Does Thailand require any type of merchant marine licensing for crewing tourist vessels?
Yes:

Yup. The only thing you need in Thailand for an operating licence or military/police colonel rank or invisibility cloak for operating a tiger temple or exotic timber logging or construction of a villa on national forest land.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

I think I may have an invisibility cloak. I can never tell when it is on though. I go into some merchants & wait patiently at counter while clerks wait on three others that came after me. I turn and leave but I can seee my reflection. :unknown:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Luigi wrote:I think I may have an invisibility cloak. I can never tell when it is on though. I go into some merchants & wait patiently at counter while clerks wait on three others that came after me. I turn and leave but I can seee my reflection. :unknown:
:plus1:
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

All that water and they collide? Something is not being told. A sinking, sure I can understand that with the shitty boats they have/build, but a collision? As a merchant mariner I've been on ships that have had accidents and its usually one of two things, operator error or mechanical failure. I had to take drug tests for almost 20 years to work on US ships, but the guys operating these boats, never, and I'd bet at least one operators was stoned.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Sailorman wrote:All that water and they collide? Something is not being told. A sinking, sure I can understand that with the shitty boats they have/build, but a collision? As a merchant mariner I've been on ships that have had accidents and its usually one of two things, operator error or mechanical failure. I had to take drug tests for almost 20 years to work on US ships, but the guys operating these boats, never, and I'd bet at least one operators was stoned.
Both captains were probably playing Candy Crush at the time of the collision.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Luigi wrote:I think I may have an invisibility cloak. I can never tell when it is on though. I go into some merchants & wait patiently at counter while clerks wait on three others that came after me. I turn and leave but I can seee my reflection. :unknown:
LOL. :thumb:
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Sailorman wrote:All that water and they collide? Something is not being told. A sinking, sure I can understand that with the shitty boats they have/build, but a collision? As a merchant mariner I've been on ships that have had accidents and its usually one of two things, operator error or mechanical failure. I had to take drug tests for almost 20 years to work on US ships, but the guys operating these boats, never, and I'd bet at least one operators was stoned.
Fog in the wheel house.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic