Cambodians Named in the Leaked Panama Papers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodians Named in the Leaked Panama Papers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

"Data released by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists reveals offshore holdings of a number of prominent Cambodia-linked individuals.

The latest data include 25 individuals related to Cambodia who hold shares in 26 different offshore companies.

Analysts say Cambodia’s lax regulatory environment and tax loopholes mean the scale of offshoring and its economic impact on the Southeast Asian country remain unknown. While wealthy individuals can avoid higher tax rates or scrutiny via offshore holdings, their nominal association with the leaked documents does not necessarily mean they have broken any laws.

Among individuals named is Cambodian Justice Minister Ang Vong Vathana, who is listed as holding $5,000 worth of shares in a company called RCD International. The now defunct enterprise, whose purpose remains unknown, was based in Hong Kong and involved other Cambodians and people with Chinese names. Vathana has denied his involvement with the company.

Other familiar Cambodian names found in the database include Lim Bunsour and Nang Sothy, both corporate executives and members of the Cambodian Chamber of Commerce, and Sreang Tito, owner of Internet service provider Mekong Net.

Several unknown individuals are listed. Long Virak is named as shareholder in five different companies, including Easy Flow Media Ltd., Solid Media Solutions Ltd., Ultra Media Entertainment Ltd., Speedquick Media Ltd. and Big Aim Ltd.

Leaked papers also reveal individuals with foreign names using Cambodian addresses for offshore holdings. These include Wong Swie Hwa, who partnered with Lim Sophany to invest in King Fortress Investments. Also named are OKUBO Alejandro Marcelo of Triumph Business Development Ltd.; Kwok Stanley Kar Kuen of Clever Leader Holdings; Chong Mei Sing of the De’ Cove Investments Ltd.; Dmitry S. Stepanov of the PMT Air Corp.; and Skaret Sindre of the Golden Luck Winner Ltd.

http://voanews.com/a/panama-papers-link ... 66941.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Re: Cambodians Named in the Leaked Panama Papers

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I was quite surprised that only a couple of names had surfaced from the panama papers till now. I quickly browsed the recently published full listing for obvious names but probably too quick as Long should have ring a bell...
Anyway the panama papers are only a drop in the ocean and there must be hundreds or quite possibly thousands of Cambodian individuals in between the different offshore lawyers practices, I can't believe for a sec that this Fonseca company had 25% of the world offshore companies market.

On a similar note, In 2001 I was queuing for a visa cash advance at the Cambodia Commercial Bank main branch (Thai SCB) when a very regular looking Cambodian guy in front of me pulled a UBS platinum card (biggest Swiss bank) for a much larger advance...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

What's the point of the Panama Papers anyway? Are we expected to believe that everyone will be audited and stripped of their assets?
JanKrohn
Expatriate
Germany

Post by JanKrohn »

Are expected to believe that everyone is treated equally? (Well, according to George Orwell, some might be treated more equally than others.)
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

wahh its not fair those people have more money than me and therefore the means to grow it.

who gives à shit where they put their money.

you do know that your pensions are often in offshore accounts to save you tax dollars?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic