What Are You Worth?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

What's your Net Worth?

$0-$20,000
31%
$20,000-$50,000
No votes
$50,000-$100,000
8%
$100,000-$200,000
8%
$200,000-$300,000
8%
$300,000-$500,000
15%
$500,000+
31%

Total votes: 13
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Re: What Are You Worth?

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:
Tim Linkinwater wrote:Shouldn't there be a pre-A category? More than vladimir.
That's just a given.
Ah. I thought it was about money.
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

There should be an option for negative net worth for all the expats who have debts back home.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

General Mackevili wrote:I'm -$6,000. Image
General Mackevili wrote:I copied your exact options and made it a poll. :bow:
Why did you miss yourself out when creating this poll?
Also there should be a 7-figure option for the million dollar man.
Scarier than malaria.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

ali baba wrote: Why did you miss yourself out when creating this poll?
Also there should be a 7-figure option for the million dollar man.
I was tempted to put a "less than $0" category, but the OP only asked for help creating a poll from his thread.

I thought I'd just do exactly as he asked, since he specifically said exactly what he wanted.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

How do you go about racking up 6k in credit card debt while in Cambodia? Do you ship yourself some merino wool underwear on a monthly basis or something? Or did you have a 100$ debt when you came here five years ago?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Thank God hostess bars and Pontoon don't take credit card! !

Actually, it's really stupid.

I just put all my flights and other online purchases on it. Damn, and even my visas on it.

Luckily, I've only been paying about 4% interest on it because I'm a balance transferring fool.

Even right now. I paid a lump sum of about $250 to transfer it to an account where I won't pay any interest on it for another year or so.

It's all the same card, they just put it in a different rate category.

:facepalm:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

I'm guessing (hoping) the negative worth group here are age 30 or under, for the most part. I bet many of us above that age were in a similar situation when we were in our late 20s. As long as you are actively working and gradually get some kind of plan for savings and future earnings growth, then don't sweat your current net worth. You will definitely want to be seriously considering your retirement savings requirements by age 40, though. Leave it much past age 40 and it can become much more of an ordeal to save enough without serious sacrifices in lifestyle.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

soi dog;
i had lots more money when i was in my early 30's than i have now!! loved the 80's

only time i was in debt is when i bought a house in Ca in 97

Never had a savings plan, spent what i needed to spent, any left over was left alone.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

You should save up before making the big move. But if you are an adventurous, hobo type, just fucking do it.

To end with a phrase from Greenday:

Its something unpredictable but in the end its right. I hope you had the time of your life.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

phuketrichard wrote:soi dog;
i had lots more money when i was in my early 30's than i have now!! loved the 80's

only time i was in debt is when i bought a house in Ca in 97

Never had a savings plan, spent what i needed to spent, any left over was left alone.
It doesn't look like the 20-somethings on this thread are on your same path. Not having a savings plan may have worked out for you so far, but it might not work out so well for them. The consequences of outliving one's retirement savings, and having social security collapse before they can collect any, are far too real and potentially disastrous not to have a plan.

Except for FC, he should continue living his life according to a lame American pop band's lyrics. That sounds like a good plan to me, for him. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic