Birth certificate question

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Mr. Yan
Expatriate

Birth certificate question

Post by Mr. Yan »

Trying to gather some info to help someone out. In a situation where the father splits as soon as a Khmer woman gets pregnant, and has no intention of acknowledging/assuming any responsibility, is there an option to put "unknown" or the infamous "no have" in the father section on the birth certificate?

If not, is there a way for her to be granted sole custody after the birth, in a legal sense with said father's agreement if he was to be put on the birth certificate?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Birth certificate question

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Google "Law on marriage and family Cambodia ". There is an English translation of the prakas available, Chapter 4 covers your question.
Mr. Yan
Expatriate

Post by Mr. Yan »

My Google skills must be slipping, should have found that. That was exactly what I was looking for though, thanks.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Its a typically Cambodian situation, its a fuck up and if women want to change things they have to pay and pay. I was told to change the children's names from the second husband's name who deserted the family before his child was born could cost $10,000 plus.
He never should have been able to get the first daughter in his name. Luckily it seems the Australian Embassy had a solution, this was after I lobbied them talking of corruption that I was sure they did not want me to get involved with.
They had a form that the second husband agreed to sign with a photo of him with the kid and have his ID copied, $300 to him and free for the first father. A Khmer German engineer. A good bloke. Saved 10K plus, fuck the Cambodian judges. They missed out.
Still waiting for the visas, but I don't think they will refuse. And an appeal is free.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic