Do you feel regret that you don't have MD?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Re: Do you feel regret that you don't have MD?

Post by ot mien kampf »

Samouth wrote:
ot mien kampf wrote:
Samouth wrote:
ot mien kampf wrote:
Samouth wrote:
I want to do a double degree in Journalism and International Relation, however in Cambodia, you can't do a double degree.
I'd advise against journalism simply because there's little hope fore employment in the West and the Khmer press is heavily regulated by you know who.

If you can (ie. if you have the $$$ and the people to speak for you at embassies etc.) then a double Science & Humanities/Business/Economics degree in somewhere like Australia is the safest employment option. It's also the highest workload.
i guess i would remain being poor working as a reporter or journalist, however i would have a backup degree which is international relation. Being rich is not my goal. I just want to work somewhere in the world representing my country.

BTW, English newspapers has more freedom than the Khmer one.

I don't have money to afford oversea school fees. However, i have always been looking for scholarship opportunities.
Australia has one open to students, but they need to fulfill a strict criteria to get the visa and I think it also requires one of a certain set of prerequisite degrees. Canada was running a similar program and I think the French have a more open one. The USA may be the best option, however that would be run by each institution rather than a government initiative. A left field option might be India, but I have no idea how Cambodia-to-India student visas work.

The problem from a foreign perspective is that Cambodian universities don't have a good reputation so I'm not sure how certain degrees would translate into a foreign work permit.
I once applied to three different scholarships at the same time. One in England, Netherlands and Sweden, however, i didn't manage to get even one. I guess my application is not good enough, during that i only had one year of working experience and perhaps my English was really bad. Since, I haven't applied for any other scholarships. I know that Australia and NZ are providing a bunch of scholarships to Cambodian students. However, the program tend to design for government officials.
Did you have qualifications (ie. a degree) at the time? Local highschool diplomas probably have little value to foreign observers. Western countries tend to be snobbish towards foreign student applications unless they're exceptional students or have money. Cambodia is no longer at war so there's no humanitarian reasons that create a reluctance to deny Khmer applicants. The scholarships are available, but you'd have to excel at a local institution first.

The problem with Cambodia is its a small nation with very limited educational infrastructure. I suppose there's hope that a more integrated ASEAN means that you may study in a larger place like Thailand or Vietnam and have a degree that is more likely to be valued by foreign observers, if you want to work outside Cambodia with a green card or similar.

http://www.webometrics.info/en/Asia/Cambodia

http://www.webometrics.info/en/Asia_Pac ... rld%20Rank

Highest ranked Cambodian university is 5000+ whereas Singapore is 79, Thailand is 308, and Malaysia is 393.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Yes at that time i had a bachelor degree of TEFL, however, as i said i didn't have enough working experiences, plus my supporting documents were not really good.

Yes, the education in Cambodia is not really widely recognized, even within the region. The university that i went to wasn't that good. In general, many universities in Cambodia are not that great and most lectures are really snobby and not really supportive, however, there are some great lecturers though.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

isn't it true many universities in Cambodia "sell" their diplomas? And as its known, i can see why one from Cambodia would not be looked on as real or worth the paper its printed on.

....I'd advise against journalism LOL
Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits - a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage." – Hunter Thompson
I think Cambodia is one of the only countries where journalist are paid NOT TO WRITE A STORY. :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

If you are liberal arts major, you pretty much need a masters degree to be competitive in the job market. If you majored in something useful like engineering or finance, you don't need to get a masters degree. Even a masters degree from a Cambodian university isn't worth much. Have you considered marrying an Ohkna's daughter? That will open some doors for you. There has got to be a fat girl sitting at home at her villa in her brand new range rover just waiting for a man to ask her out for suki soup... ;-)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

kptic wrote:If you are liberal arts major, you pretty much need a masters degree to be competitive in the job market. If you majored in something useful like engineering or finance, you don't need to get a masters degree. Even a masters degree from a Cambodian university isn't worth much.

Have you considered marrying an Ohkna's daughter? That will open some doors for you. There has got to be a fat girl sitting at home at her villa in her brand new range rover just waiting for a man to ask her out for suki soup... ;-)

Yes, I have considered that. I just need the address and phone number.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

kptic wrote:If you are liberal arts major, you pretty much need a masters degree to be competitive in the job market. If you majored in something useful like engineering or finance, you don't need to get a masters degree. Even a masters degree from a Cambodian university isn't worth much. Have you considered marrying an Ohkna's daughter? That will open some doors for you. There has got to be a fat girl sitting at home at her villa in her brand new range rover just waiting for a man to ask her out for suki soup... ;-)
I find this advice more like a piss-take. I guess you might not read what i posted above. Being a millionaire or rich is not the goal that i am striving for.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

phuketrichard wrote:isn't it true many universities in Cambodia "sell" their diplomas? And as its known, i can see why one from Cambodia would not be looked on as real or worth the paper its printed on.

....I'd advise against journalism LOL
Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits - a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage." – Hunter Thompson
I think Cambodia is one of the only countries where journalist are paid NOT TO WRITE A STORY. :stir:
I am not sure about certificate selling stuff. I guess it might be possible to do so considering Cambodia is a corrupted country. However, not all of us bought our certificate from the university. Having said that, i can assure with you that i worked hard for fking four years to get my degree.

Richard, i think you are making thing up. I don't think Cambodia is the only country that journalists are paid to not write the story. What sources do you base to? Did you do the research on this subject?

You are one of the reasons that we need journalist. A professional journalists don't make thing up. They write stories/ articles based on researches and sources that they spoke to.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i think you are making thing up. I don't think Cambodia is the only country that journalists are paid to not write the story. What sources do you base to? Did you do the research on this subject?

You are one of the reasons that we need journalist. A professional journalists don't make thing up. They write stories/ articles based on researches and sources that they spoke to.
:facepalm: :please:
well guess there are very very few Professional journalist in Cambodia . LOL
Instead, like hundreds of other members of Cambodia's press corps, he cobbles together a living by combing the countryside for news, then accepting bribes not to publish stories. In some cases, San uncovers wrongdoing and approaches the law-breaker for hush money. Other times he receives regular "envelopes" of cash from local officials to ensure he doesn't even start hunting for news in their vicinity. Either way, he doesn't publish many stories.

This way of doing journalism is ingrained in Cambodia, but is rarely discussed openly, even though a spate of recent violent attacks has been directed at this unruly corps of journeyman reporters, who tend to congregate in remote areas where illegal logging and land grabs are rampant.
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 99165.html

You know what gets me about you? You think cause your Khmer you know more than those of us that aren't, but, either live there or travel there frequently. :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

phuketrichard wrote:
i think you are making thing up. I don't think Cambodia is the only country that journalists are paid to not write the story. What sources do you base to? Did you do the research on this subject?

:facepalm: :please:
well guess there are very very few Professional journalist in Cambodia . LOL
Instead, like hundreds of other members of Cambodia's press corps, he cobbles together a living by combing the countryside for news, then accepting bribes not to publish stories. In some cases, San uncovers wrongdoing and approaches the law-breaker for hush money. Other times he receives regular "envelopes" of cash from local officials to ensure he doesn't even start hunting for news in their vicinity. Either way, he doesn't publish many stories.

This way of doing journalism is ingrained in Cambodia, but is rarely discussed openly, even though a spate of recent violent attacks has been directed at this unruly corps of journeyman reporters, who tend to congregate in remote areas where illegal logging and land grabs are rampant.
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 99165.html

You know what gets me about you? You think cause your Khmer you know more than those of us that aren't, but, either live there or travel there frequently. :stir:
Hey Richard, i actually always felt good arguing with you as i couldn't stop laughing at your not-so-smart comments. The whole Cambodia, you said there are only a few professional journalists, base on what sources big boy?

The link you added here didn't really support what you said above. You said Cambodia is the only country that journalists are paid to not write the stories. This link didn't say that. I didn't argue that it wasn't happened, however Cambodia is not the only country i guess.

I am starting to doubt if you really know English. Need some lessons. I guess General can give you some private English lessons.

When did i say that because i am khmer so i know more than you guys. I always say that the reason that i stick around on the forum is to share with and learn from each other.

Next time, you accuse people of doing or saying something, you better put the sources or link to that sources, so you would nail the debate.

kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

Samouth wrote:
kptic wrote:If you are liberal arts major, you pretty much need a masters degree to be competitive in the job market. If you majored in something useful like engineering or finance, you don't need to get a masters degree. Even a masters degree from a Cambodian university isn't worth much. Have you considered marrying an Ohkna's daughter? That will open some doors for you. There has got to be a fat girl sitting at home at her villa in her brand new range rover just waiting for a man to ask her out for suki soup... ;-)
I find this advice more like a piss-take. I guess you might not read what i posted above. Being a millionaire or rich is not the goal that i am striving for.
It was only partially a piss-take. I was also illustrating just how useless a masters degree from most Cambodian universities are. You might as well try banging fat chicks with crooked parents. :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic