Name and location please

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Name and location please

Post by epidemiks »

Cam chain replacement shouldn't cost more than 20$ on a scooter.

Cam chains have automatic tensioners, but the chain itself is not self tightening. The auto tensioner can stop working
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

epidemiks wrote:Cam chain replacement shouldn't cost more than 20$ on a scooter.

Cam chains have automatic tensioners, but the chain itself is not self tightening. The auto tensioner can stop working
That was my initial summation. It's hard to know what's going on unless I do the job myself. I have been quoted from 10 to 25 for Japanese parts with one sprocket replaced ( he thinks their Thai sprockets). Most mechanics have listened and said new cam chain. In Vietnam it would cost $5 with new Jap parts and both sprockets renewed I reckon.

Anyone know where to buy genuine Honda parts? and did anyone get that service manual from Meo to work?

BTW I used to know a great mechanic along Highway 5 going north just past the Jap bridge about a K or 2 up and on the left below a single 4 story building painted pink (iirc). It had another mechanics next to it, but this guy had brand new machines for piston work etc I used to go there in 2010-12 but when I went a few months ago it had been taken over by another crew who didn't want to tell me where the old mechanic had gone. Anyone ever use that guy and know where he moved to?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Just an update. I got the cam belt changed for $10 at a mechanics on Sok Hok St (Go out of Capital restaurant and Sok Hok is opposite running parallel to Monivong, Central Market direction, go down the road and they are the 2nd mechanics on the left). I watching him take the bike apart when he did the cam chain and they did a good job. Cleaned all the parts and used the correct spanners etc.
There was, as another poster foresaw, a need for new rings and piston. I didn't notice any change in power, but it was leaking oil through the rings. Changed that today along with new fork seals and an oil change for $34 (23 for piston, rings, head relined/bored, new gasket, $6 fork seals, $5 US synthetic multi grade 800 ml) Those prices include parts and labour. The head and forks took about 3 and a half hours. Cam chain about 1 1/2. Bike is a Honda Wave 110.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic