RIP Muhammad Ali - dead at 74

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

The Greatest is dead.

Post by hanno »

Muhammad Ali just died. I am no boxing fan, but he was special.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

RIP Muhammad Ali - dead at 74

Post by Username Taken »

Muhammad Ali, 'The Greatest of All Time', Dead at 74

"After a 32-year battle with Parkinson's disease, Muhammad Ali has passed away at the age of 74. The three-time World Heavyweight Champion boxer died this evening," Bob Gunnell, a family spokesman, told NBC News.

Ali had suffered for three decades from Parkinson's Disease, a progressive neurological condition that slowly robbed him of both his legendary verbal grace and his physical dexterity. A funeral service is planned in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky.

More http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/muha ... 74-n584776

Muhammad Ali is held back by referee Joe Walcott, left, after Ali knocked out challenger Sonny Liston in the first round of their title fight in Lewiston, Maine on May 25, 1965.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: RIP Muhammad Ali - dead at 74

Post by phuketrichard »

yesterday he was stable, this morning, critical;
knew his time was up,
a great sports figure and will be missed.

Wont ever forget the thriller in Manila

Some have gone so far as to say it was the greatest fight of any weight division in the entire history of the sport! In 1997 The Ring magazine awarded it “Fight of the Century” honors in its all-time ratings
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Black Superman by Johnny Wakelin & The Kinshasa Band (1975)

kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

It's a shame a true legend of the sporting world.

After reading the news yesterday it seemed it was going to happen soon.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

His stance as a conscientious objector during the Vietnam war was also commendable.
RIP Mr ALI :hattip:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Yobbo wrote:His stance as a conscientious objector during the Vietnam war was also commendable.
RIP Mr ALI :hattip:
yep they suspended his boxing license and stripped him of his world title!

this news really upset me this morning
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Yep, after he was banned from fighting and jailed and later when he retired I preferred to movies of his old fights rather than watch live bouts. Except for his "roper doper",which many thought helped cause his Parkinson Disease, his footwork was phenomenal.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Rest in peace, I grew up with him in the 70's Just too fast for 25 frames pr. sec.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

Disgusting individual who happened to be good at sport.
Aligning himself with the Nation of Islam, its leader Elijah Muhammad, and a narrative that labeled the white race as the perpetrator of genocide against African Americans made Ali a target of public condemnation. The NOI was widely viewed by whites and even some African Americans as a black separatist "hate religion" with a propensity toward violence; Ali had few qualms about using his influential voice to speak NOI doctrine.[19] In a press conference articulating his opposition to the Vietnam War, Ali stated, "my enemy is the white people, not the Vietcong".[19] In relation to integration, he said: "We who follow the teachings of Elijah Muhammad don't want to be forced to integrate. Integration is wrong. We don't want to live with the white man; that's all."[105] And in relation to inter-racial marriage: "No intelligent black man or black woman in his or her right black mind wants white boys and white girls coming to their homes to marry their black sons and daughters."[105] Indeed, Ali's religious beliefs at the time included the notion that the white man was "the devil" and that white people were not "righteous".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_ ... nd_beliefs
Adding to the atmosphere were the considerable pre-fight theatrics and name calling. Ali portrayed Frazier as a "dumb tool of the white establishment". "Frazier is too ugly to be champ," Ali said. "Frazier is too dumb to be champ." Ali also frequently called Frazier an Uncle Tom. Dave Wolf, who worked in Frazier's camp, recalled that, "Ali was saying 'the only people rooting for Joe Frazier are white people in suits, Alabama sheriffs, and members of the Ku Klux Klan. I'm fighting for the little man in the ghetto.' Joe was sitting there, smashing his fist into the palm of his hand, saying, 'What the fuck does he know about the ghetto?'"[34]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_ ... d_comeback
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic