Modern Cambodian Houses Made Out of Lego Bricks For the Poor

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chariya
Expatriate

Re: Modern Cambodian Houses Made Out of Lego Bricks For the Poor

Post by Chariya »

This is nice house,
I not like the colour, have to change :bad:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote: Definitely quicker and need less labour without mortar The problem is selling them.
Where does it say they don't need mortar?
And where does it say they do need mortar ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Duncan wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote: Definitely quicker and need less labour without mortar The problem is selling them.
Where does it say they don't need mortar?
And where does it say they do need mortar ?
at first i was going to say it was obviously bonded (likely with mortar)
but then i double checked the block and they have tapered edges to give the illusion of joints, but still it must have some sort of adhesive/mortar, it just wouldnt be structually sound without it, if they were bigger blocks and weighed a lot more then sure, but the size of the blocks, and the weight (i can judge by the way hes holding it) the size of the "Key" (theyre not that deep, plus if a mortar is used then it would make them slightly pointless, so it could be right that no mortar is used) i just cant see how it could be structually sound.
id be interested to learn more about it, and the specs, as i could be missing some details,
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i like blockwork as its quick and simple, but we get paid more for doing it, in the UK Blockwork, i was last getting paid about £11pm2, that works out to £1.1 per block, say im building a wall thats 15 blocks long, i could lay 15 blocks in about 5 minutes, but ill say 10 for easiness (due to cutting blocks/adjusting the line/scraping snots) thats £16.50 per course or £99 per hour, i wouldnt normally build a block wall higher than 9 courses, so thats £148.50 for that wall, for the sake of this lets say it took me 2 hours to build after all the messing around, thats £148.50 for 2 hours work,
without a labourer i can lay about 100 bricks an hour, with a labourer 150, so in 2 hours thats 2-300 bricks, i was last getting paid £400 per 1000 bricks, so that works out between £80-120, but for the same sized wall there would be 720 bricks which is £288
so its quicker laying blocks and the worker can earn money quicker, and its cheaper for the contractor

(just a basic guideline)
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I like those big blocks made with perlite i think.
hebel blocks they are called.
super light- not sure but they may float.
great insulating material
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

It must be great for you to share you knowledge about something other than bargirls Jamie.

:stir: :stir:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

kiwiincambodia wrote:It must be great for you to share you knowledge about something other than bargirls Jamie.

:stir: :stir:
the whole time im working im constantly calculating how many bargirls i can take

50 bricks = 1 bargirl
15 bricks = 1 barfine
30 bricks = 1 freelancer
:beer3:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

frank lee bent wrote:I like those big blocks made with perlite i think.
Yeah, in the UK we use Thermalite Blocks https://www.google.com.kh/search?q=hebe ... ite+blocks
we often use these in foundations and cavity walls, but are rarely used on load baring walls, concrete breeze blocks would be used for them
the Thermalite blocks come in about 3 different densities depenging on the use (Turbos are the lightest at 2.9Newtons, then theres shields at 3.6N, then Hi-Density are the heaviest with a compressive strenth of 7Newtons, you can tell the difference by the lines that are scored on them, Turbo =6lines, Shields 4 pairs of lines and H-D are 4 lines :thumb:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote:I like those big blocks made with perlite i think.
Look at the 2.50 mark.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Building lots & price inflation

One of those 10m x 20m building lots outside the Siem Reap Ring Road was sold for $5,000 in 2012.

The purchaser then had to add three truckloads of sand, compress the sand and fence the lot.

No actual building was built.

Now the purchaser is looking for a buyer at $20,000, but is almost certainly willing to accept less.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic