The Elephant In Siem Reap Was Unconscious and Died Later

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: The Elephant In Siem Reap Was Unconscious and Died Later

Post by Anchor Moy »

Trip Advisor accused of profiting from animal misery;
Tourists ride elephants in Angkor in Cambodia, where an elderly elephant recently suffered heart failure after working in the heat. Photo / iStock
TripAdvisor accused of 'profiting from animal cruelty'
1:29 PM Wednesday Apr 27, 2016

Top travel website TripAdvisor has been accused of "profiting from the world's cruelest animal attractions" by an international animal welfare charity.

World Animal Protection wrote in a statement this week that TripAdvisor promoted and profited from attractions like elephant riding by featuring them in their listings.

It estimated that at least 550,000 wild animals were "suffering at the hands of irresponsible wildlife tourist attractions around the world", which were sold via TripAdvisor.

These attractions included riding elephants, handling sea turtles, watching dolphin performances and taking selfies with lions and tigers.

The charity said tourists were not usually aware of the "abuse and suffering the animals experience in these venues".

"TripAdvisor is hugely influential and has a critical role to play in helping to end the cruel abuse of wild animals in tourism," said Julie Middelkoop, Global Head of the Wildlife - Not Entertainers Campaign at World Animal Protection.

"We know people want to see wild animals, but they need to be aware of the suffering that goes on behind the scenes and make better, animal friendly, choices.

"Eight out of ten tourists leave positive reviews for cruel wildlife attractions on TripAdvisor because they don't see the abuse. It's time TripAdvisor started educating tourists on wildlife friendly venues, similar to the way it promotes eco-friendly accommodations through their GreenLeaders programme."

Last week, an elderly elephant in Angkor, Cambodia, suffered from heart failure after carrying tourists in extreme heat.

A Change.org petition asked the Apsara Authority, which is in charge of research, protection and conservation at the Angkor Archaeological Park, to ban elephant rides at Angkor. It had received over 30,000 signatures...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/animal-welfar ... d=11629560
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

I don't know if they are still doing it, but Tripadvisor has also stood fairly firmly against the anti-orphanage tourism effort as well. While allowing articles and information about where and how to volunteer at third world orphanages, thus profitting from it in the same way they are from elephant abuse, they banned any discussion of the anti-orphanage tourism efforts, including information from Friend International, on the basis that it is a 'campaign' and they don't allow campaigns on Tripadvisor.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

"A petition to finally end the elephant rides at Angkor Wat seems... Please sign and share!"

I don't think a petition floating around in cyberspace will change a damn thing. The people who need to be reached won't even know it's there. And the govt could care less.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

table42 wrote:"A petition to finally end the elephant rides at Angkor Wat seems... Please sign and share!"

I don't think a petition floating around in cyberspace will change a damn thing. The people who need to be reached won't even know it's there. And the govt could care less.
There is truth in that, but it is a step in building awareness.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the "tiger temple" is finished purely due to public opinion.
zoos in general are under the microscope after the gorilla incident at the weekend.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic