OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Re: OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"

Post by Rain Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:2) i disagree, we'll wait for one of the many on here to chime in.
3) so it is "only ADL" or "only ADL and it's affiliates"? Or perhaps only ADL, it's affiliates, and anyone not directly affiliated with either organization who agreed with them. Hell even Southpark keyed in on it.

"Now please tell me how you go from"
Blaming Jewish groups for filtering media and claiming they dictate the contents of the media to further their own agendas would be antisemitic, presuming you don't assume that they are made up of a variety of religions/ethnicities which have nothing to do with Judaism.

Again your logic is completely wrong here. Your own definition of antisemitism is about hating Jews just because they are Jewish. If I blame some Christians for exploiting poor people in trying to spread their creed, does that mean I hate Christians? The same applies to Jews --- some do bad things and need to be called out for what they do. That is not Antisemitic.

I reject the ACTION they are doing.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Noam Chomsky... sort of says it all right there I guess.

Personally I feel he's a twit with a lot of his own misinformation campaigning. Another argument for another day.

Your jab about me using the word illuminati to represent some controlling cabal (sort of the very nature of that word isn't it? some supposedly enlightened group pulling the strings behind the scene?) in dismissive tones with a childish personal attack mixed in was cute.

Then of course to call a differing opinion "nieve" instead of just differing, while assuring that your opinion is "reality"... when in fact they're both opinions. You should WORK for Fox...

And you accuse me of wordplay.

To make a nice example of how our opinions for cause/effect differ: Gays on TV, I believe it was quite surely done by market demand... the gay market specifically, as well as a younger generation that didn't have nearly the degree of homophobia their parents generation did. They were a large and expanding market, and the TV networks capitalized on it. It added depth to programming which had previously gone a little stale with all of the plot themes being the same. Evidence of that can be seen in how 90210 was one of the first to explore it, and it was a show 100% directed to this younger market.

I can't believe you think that if NBC was to start a sitcom called "My Shiite Family", featuring the silly antics of a Shiite Islamic family in their day to day lives that always ended with a nice moral to the story and a happy ending, that the American people would even consider watching it.

To clarify, 13 years ago it may have been possible... may. There was still some distaste from other incidents... but nothing like 9-11. 9-11 has made is so that ANYTHING pro Islam will be rejected by the American viewing audience. Hell, there are STILL a number of the US population who hate Obama for being Muslim, and he's not even Muslim. And there's PLENTY of other things out there to hate him for if you're just looking for a reason... you don't have to make one up.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Rain Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:2) i disagree, we'll wait for one of the many on here to chime in.
3) so it is "only ADL" or "only ADL and it's affiliates"? Or perhaps only ADL, it's affiliates, and anyone not directly affiliated with either organization who agreed with them. Hell even Southpark keyed in on it.

"Now please tell me how you go from"
Blaming Jewish groups for filtering media and claiming they dictate the contents of the media to further their own agendas would be antisemitic, presuming you don't assume that they are made up of a variety of religions/ethnicities which have nothing to do with Judaism.

Again your logic is completely wrong here. Your own definition of antisemitism is about hating Jews just because they are Jewish. If I blame some Christians for exploiting poor people in trying to spread their creed, does that mean I hate Christians? The same applies to Jews --- some do bad things and need to be called out for what they do. That is not Antisemitic.

I reject the ACTION they are doing.
But you are claiming the action is being done BECAUSE they're Jewish... not because they're simply giving an audience what they want or selling what they know will sell.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:Noam Chomsky... sort of says it all right there I guess.

Personally I feel he's a twit with a lot of his own misinformation campaigning. Another argument for another day.

Your jab about me using the word illuminati to represent some controlling cabal (sort of the very nature of that word isn't it? some supposedly enlightened group pulling the strings behind the scene?) in dismissive tones with a childish personal attack mixed in was cute.

Then of course to call a differing opinion "nieve" instead of just differing, while assuring that your opinion is "reality"... when in fact they're both opinions. You should WORK for Fox...

And you accuse me of wordplay.

To make a nice example of how our opinions for cause/effect differ: Gays on TV, I believe it was quite surely done by market demand... the gay market specifically, as well as a younger generation that didn't have nearly the degree of homophobia their parents generation did. They were a large and expanding market, and the TV networks capitalized on it. It added depth to programming which had previously gone a little stale with all of the plot themes being the same. Evidence of that can be seen in how 90210 was one of the first to explore it, and it was a show 100% directed to this younger market.

I can't believe you think that if NBC was to start a sitcom called "My Shiite Family", featuring the silly antics of a Shiite Islamic family in their day to day lives that always ended with a nice moral to the story and a happy ending, that the American people would even consider watching it.

Hmmm --- You do not like Chomsky. He is Jewish. You must be an Antisemite. (Just using your own logic against you)

Actually Chomsky is brilliant on some things -- mediocre on others. Never heard anyone call him a twit though. Is that an antisemitic label now too?

Seriously --- rather than attack the messenger (me and Chomsky) if you are serious about this topic then maybe try actually reading it --- you know -- before dismissing it outright.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

See, I don't say he has those views (many of which i disagree with, and I have read/listened to him) BECAUSE he's Jewish... that's the key difference. You're suggesting they filter the media BECAUSE they're Jewish and filtering it forwards a Jewish agenda. Shame you can't see the difference there.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I'll just leave this here and go back to enjoying the debate: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... ews-193116 . Oh, and I'll tuck this away for the next Bible bash:
Rain Dog wrote:Seriously --- rather than attack the messenger (me and Chomsky) if you are serious about this topic then maybe try actually reading it --- you know -- before dismissing it outright.
Do carry on :popcorn:
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

What's funny is that was claiming they pushed a liberal agenda, then lists shows that were aired during bush's presidency. Sort of knocks the whole "National strategic asset" conspiracy out of the water.
One of those slamming Coulter is George Schlatter, who directed and produced Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In in the 1970s, using the show to knock Republicans and the Vietnam War. “The fact we pissed the Pentagon off, that pleased me enormously,” he says before calling Coulter “the c-word.”
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:What's funny is that was claiming they pushed a liberal agenda, then lists shows that were aired during bush's presidency. Sort of knocks the whole "National strategic asset" conspiracy out of the water.
One of those slamming Coulter is George Schlatter, who directed and produced Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In in the 1970s, using the show to knock Republicans and the Vietnam War. “The fact we pissed the Pentagon off, that pleased me enormously,” he says before calling Coulter “the c-word.”
Yeah, there are a couple of 'inconsistencies' in the argument, but a good read/watch nonetheless.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

It's so fascinating to me that so many are interested in Jesus! Lol.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:

Yes, you have continued to use misrepresentation of my statements and deliberately loaded terms like "Illuminati" in the absence of your inability to make any other coherent argument. I will call you on this every time you do it.
OrangeDragon wrote: I can't believe you think that if NBC was to start a sitcom called "My Shiite Family", featuring the silly antics of a Shiite Islamic family in their day to day lives that always ended with a nice moral to the story and a happy ending, that the American people would even consider watching it.
Actually such a show did exist on TLC in 2011 -- it was called "All American Muslim". It only lasted one season as far right Jewish (Frontpage.com) and Christian (Florida Family Association) groups organized a sponsor boycott of the show and succeeded in getting the largest sponsor to drop it. You know -- "Creeping Shariah" and the "Moooooooslims are taking over the airwaves".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic