Drunk American Backpacker Rachel Marie Worthy Falls from Funky Flashpacker in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Drunk American Backpacker Rachel Marie Worthy Falls from Funky Flashpacker in Siem Reap

Post by Luigi »

Glad she will be ok. This sorta thing happens nearly every day of spring break Panama City, Fl.

Was nice to see someone who knew emergency first responder technique.

If you would have seen the so called fireman on Vic Hill preform emergency care for a dual moto collision you would want him to leave you be. I wish I had a video of it. He began by dragging an unconscious man by the arm from the road to curb. Man was in no danger from traffic as it happened right at the traffic popo house. Many immediately on scene. Never checked pulse, eyes, ears , airway, etc. He started giving some sort of CPR in the solar plexus region. Then get this. A man jumps over the unconscious man, jumps back over again and then one more time jumps over the man. The jumping man then waved his hands over the man on ground & sure enough the guy comes to. Everyone rejoiced. This is one of the more bizarre things I have witnessed here. :facepalm:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Drunk American Backpacker Rachel Marie Worthy Falls from Funky Flashpacker in Siem Reap

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

my friend fell out of a tree whilst drunk, unfortunately she died :(
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

About 3 weeks ago I managed to fall out of a lounger (sitting with arm rests), then stumble 5 feet, head first, into a brick wall and knocked myself out. I hit the top back right of my head. (abrasion and little bit of blood)

I don't remember trying to get up from the chair nor why. (Very drunk! or bump on head?) I blame my friend's size 13 slippers (as well as the flagstone patio) and the comfortable chair (hard to get up from) for the stumble. (Not my fault of course. Never "my" fault.)

Friend's GF called for an ambulance, 5 min ride to local hospital. ($90 CAN, my co-pay is $45) I should have taken UBER ($5). Got a CAT scan. Then fell off the hospital bed twice (they're high up and dangerous!), (it's the only way to get attention from ALL the nurses ... evidently), trying to turn off the f'n loud beeping from the heart monitor. The last straw was when they tried to stick me for an IV bag of "medicine". "What is it?", I asked. "Vitamin B12.", she replied. "That's not medicine.", I said. Tell the Doc I'm leaving. Well, we haven't Got your CAT scan results yet. (2 hours ago) I said that if there was internal bleeding, the technician would have caught it and I'd have been in the OR by now. Besides, I'd been asking for a coffee for 3 hours now, and the service was lousy. (still drunk I guess, I'm usually a nice guy)

I signed 3 pages of release forms (basically, Doc didn't approve, so don't sue them) and left. I met the EMS guys on the way out and thanked them (see, I'm a nice guy), for the ride in.

Then, walked across the street and grabbed a Taxi ($8, 10 mins, I told him nicely to get a siren and lights), back to my friend's place to pickup my car and drove 5 mins home.

Lessons learned: Don't borrow large slippers. Wear a helmet while sitting down (while drunk). I love free health care. (in Toronto)
I'm over 60 now, first ambulance ride (cool) and first CAT scan. I don't normally drink anymore, So I need more practice.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

^ Yikes to both of your stories!

I fell out of a tree once. Landed on my back and was surprised how hard the landing was.

The scariest part was the wind was knocked outta me. Never had that happen before. I thought I was a goner.

I thought my lungs were paralyzed or something, cuz they just wouldn't work for a minute.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Drunk American Backpacker Rachel Marie Worthy Falls from Funky Flashpacker in Siem Reap

michaelstemp wrote:Hi I would just like to inform everybody that Rachel is OK. I have just left her at the hospital. They have already done all the tests and have all come back clear. She is already eating and drinking, but they want to keep her in the hospital for two more days. She will be coming back to funky when she is released from hospital to finish off the rest of her stay.
funkyflashpacker wrote:I can confirm the girl who fell is fine. She has been given the all clear from the hospital. She will be returning to Funky Flashpacker in 3 days time to finish the rest of her stay.
Has her condition worsened? You stated that she would be checking out of the hospital and then return to the Funky FlashPacker for the rest of her planned stay, but now you have announced on Facebook that her family is arranging her return to the US upon her release from the hospital.

Here is the window she fell out of:

Press release on Facebook:

"UPDATE: We want to update you about news you may have seen about one of our guest's called Rachel who had an accident at Funky Flashpacker yesterday. The story was reported by some local news outlets and we'd like to provide everyone with an update about Rachel's current condition.

We are extremly pleased to say that Rachel has been given the all clear from the doctor and will be leaving hospital either today or tomorrow. She has a few cuts and scrapes and escaped serious injury.

We have been in constant contact with her family and kept them updated through the whole thing. They will be arriving in a few days to visit her and we will make the necessary arrangements to meet them on their arrival so they can quickly get to see their daughter.

We want to say a big thanks to for all the kind words and messages we've received wishing Rachel a speedy recovery and we're glad to say she is fine and will make a full recovery.

Our guest's safety is of the utmost importance to us and whilst we've never had a situation like this before, I am very proud of the Funky Flashpacker team and the way they dealt with the situation. We're also pleased to note that the medical staff at the Royal Angkor International Hospital did a fantastic job and took fantastic care of Rachel.

Thanks

Shawn Sorg
Group Operations Director

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Sounds like arse covering to me so they don't get sued.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

If someone who has had too much to drink falls out of a window or off a balcony, does s/he have a moral right to start looking for someone to sue?

This is Cambodia, NOT California.

The management of Funky Backpacker did far more for this hapless woman than any casual guest has any real right to
expect. One might - perhaps - expect a 5-star emergency response from one of the big and very expensive hotels, but
this level of intelligent care is beyond the call of duty.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

A labourer in Sihanoukville had a nasty fall today on a factory construction site, feel 8 metres but is reported to be 'very lucky' and recovering in the provincial hospital. http://www.cen.com.kh/local/01992166
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Drunk American Backpacker Rachel Marie Worthy Falls from Funky Flashpacker in Siem Reap

mammothboy2 wrote:If someone who has had too much to drink falls out of a window or off a balcony, does s/he have a moral right to start looking for someone to sue?

This is Cambodia, NOT California.

The management of Funky Backpacker did far more for this hapless woman than any casual guest has any real right to expect.
Image Agreed.
Rama wrote:A labourer in Sihanoukville had a nasty fall today on a factory construction site, feel 8 metres but is reported to be 'very lucky' and recovering in the provincial hospital. http://www.cen.com.kh/local/01992166
Damn. She's lucky her rescue team didn't look like his:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic