Are Cambodia and Thailand Switching Places?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Are Cambodia and Thailand Switching Places?

Post by LTO »

Thailand was never a particularly safe tourist destination, and Cambodia, at least since the fall of the KR was never that dangerous. And even during the early mid 90s when the KR were still about, you could mostly avoid that danger simply by not going to KR controlled areas.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

In thailand as a tourist, I was robbed on my second day. pickpocketed.

Here as a tourist for 2 weeks on my first visit I never had anything like that happen.

Richard says "other than bangkok and pattaya" but those are the 2 prime locations for MANY tourists. At least for a while. Thats like talking about tourism here and excluding PP, SR, SV.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

phuketrichard wrote:HUH??
have u ever been to Thailand ( i don't mean Bangkok or Pattaya?)

Beaches, mtn, rivers, forests, national parks, diving, fishing, golf courses and i could go on an on...
What?! They have those things?!

I thought Thailand ended when I entered the first bar.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Here as a tourist for 2 weeks on my first visit I never had anything like that happen.
what happened after the first 2 weeks? :plus1:

Phuket gets 6 million plus /year and tourist travel everywhere in Thailand ( cause there is good transport by trains, bus's, planes)
IN Cambodia i would say 80% do not see more than PP an SR and another 10 % make it to Kep/snooky, Kampot

walking around pp at night in the early 2000's i did not feel very safe. But very few places in Thailand did i not feel safe

i first came here in 1976
moved here in 1984
have only had trouble when i ran after hour disco here in Phuket and only then cause I got involved in a turf mafi war.
other than that.....

1st visited Cambodia in 1987 an it was NOT SAFE at least near the border where i was mostly, Granted it was KR area.

To say "Thailand was never a particularly safe tourist destination" is just not true

What city /country is safe than? Tourists get beaten /robbed, mugged, scammed in usa an the uk as well :please:

THE road accidents are bad but beside that.....

Look i get it, many on the Cambodia forums have this hatred of Thailand, Just cant really understand why
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

phuketrichard wrote: Look i get it, many on the Cambodia forums have this hatred of Thailand, Just cant really understand why
I've been 6 times and never really enjoyed it. Robbed once, ripped of another, and just mostly bored on the rest.

We go, shop, and come back now. Avoiding the tourist stuff as much as possible. My wife constantly gets harassed and badmouthed by Thais while we're there, it's just not a fun place for us. My last trip she didn't even come.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I love Thailand! I just love Cambodia more.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

different strokes for different folks
my Cambodian gf has a very good job, good friends that treat her very well, they do try and speak thai to her but she is picking it up, and loves it here.

Opposite the above;
been traveling to Cambodia for a LONG time and lived there for a year but prefer it here,
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

phuketrichard wrote:
Opposite the above;
been traveling to Cambodia for a LONG time and lived there for a year but prefer it here,
Yeah, fair enough. You even seriously looked into moving here a couple years ago, and just decided you liked living in Thailand better.

So I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring one over the other. We all rate these places on our own experiences (or at least we should), and everyone's experience is unique.

As cheap as apartments are here though compared to Thailand, I'm surprised you chose Thailand. Image

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

The biggest negative factor about Thailand is the people. That includes the foreigners.

In Thailand you get people with more money and resources but less heart and soul. Cambodia is where the heart is and where you can meet genuine people.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

GMJS-CEO wrote:The biggest negative factor about Thailand is the people. That includes the foreigners.

In Thailand you get people with more money and resources but less heart and soul. Cambodia is where the heart is and where you can meet genuine people.
It's hard to argue against those solid facts.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic