edX

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: edX

Post by OrangeDragon »

vladimir wrote:imho, the fact that education at all levels is not free is an indication that humanity has its priorities wrong, and there is no hope.
your right. teachers should just teach for free!
horace
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by horace »

My thread is starting to be derailed by the commy vampire, I asked if anyone had experience of this edX and perhaps I implied I to what they thought about internet learning, that's all I wanted to know, thank you.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

[quote="horace"]Not what I'm looking to study but just the first one on the list, and it says 7-12 hours a week, which means 2 hours a day maximum.I'm just saying, not trying to argue with you ryoon and other courses which are in the archives can be studied at your leisure.

I am not saying that it cannot be done, I am just saying that this ask for a continuous effort.
The estimated time is 7 to 14 hours/ weeks or 84 to 168 hours in total.
If you do it only when you have some free time (at you leisure if you prefer), you will forgot most of what you learn previously or go to the next step before finishing completely understanding the previous one. More or less what happen at the university by the way :D .

In all case if you want to try, try it, you have nothing to lose and it will probably be an interesting experience. But I would not expect to see a lot of people doing this by themselves and following through. For such an effort you usually need some kind of aims.

This formula exist for quite some time and his very popular but mostly with student, this is more or less like a web site giving free Spanish lesson some people will follow through but only a minimal amount the effort and time necessary being to important and if by any chance you REALLY need to learn Spanish you will most probably invest in private lesson.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

horace wrote:My thread is starting to be derailed by the commy vampire, I asked if anyone had experience of this edX and perhaps I implied I to what they thought about internet learning, that's all I wanted to know, thank you.
As fare as I can see this web site is very good. I look at some course I studied at the university and they are equivalent (same program).

Be happy thanks to the Internet money, space and time are no longer a limitation to what you can learn, the only limitation remaining is your will to learn. Sad to be said even before Internet the will to learn was already the biggest limitation of all.
If really you plan to go through you should ask about the price. I mean our are looking at more than 100 hours of working time ( or 200$ worht of vladimir time) could be good to have something to show for it.
horace
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by horace »

ryoon. Why do you ask about price it's free?
Working time? I only work 12 hours a week , I need something else to do , other than drink beer and exercise!
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

You can do it for free and have no recognition, or you can pay ( and have two weeks retraction time) and finish with an official certification that will :

- make you fell good
- allow you to brag that as a matter of fact you DO know something about biology
- allow you to join other course or formation
- Can be useful in Cambodia in various ways as teaching is quite an important activity for the foreigner

Conclusion ask for the price, with this amount of effort you would have to be as poor as Vladimir to consider doing it like this.
horace
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by horace »

ryoon , I don't think your understanding of English is as good as you think it is ( although it is excellent and I wouldn't even know how to argue or address a point in another tongue while you can certainly try). As I have said already here and on k440, I'm going to retire in less than 3 years( I am not poor), I don't need a CV, I don't need to impress people because I don't give a shit, I just need more things to keep me occupied now and (for sure) in the future. Nuff said unless you have done a course from edX as was my original post.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

horace wrote:ryoon , I don't think your understanding of English is as good as you think it is ( although it is excellent and I wouldn't even know how to argue or address a point in another tongue while you can certainly try). As I have said already here and on k440,

I do not read K440 anymore barely have enough time for coming here

I'm going to retire in less than 3 years( I am not poor), I don't need a CV, I don't need to impress people because I don't give a shit, I just need more things to keep me occupied now and (for sure) in the future.

Well that is the point, a certification can be useful for various things ; learning at a higher level or enrolling in different course, participating or organizing activity during your retirement. A university certification is not something to looks down especially in Cambodia .
After this is your choice.

Nuff said unless you have done a course from edX as was my original post.
I did some of the courses given by edx but at the university, provided that you furnish the require amount of works there is not limitation in doing this online (really some teaching). I just warn you that it is a serious amount of work even with full time student some will fail. You also need quite a good motivation as nobody will be behind you to remind you to work.
horace
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by horace »

Thank you ryoon for a more appropriate non- confrontational, never endingly argumentative, ( as is the form of some posters)reply. Don't care about failing, just about making the brain work as it has become lazy over the years and I'm scared of old-timer's as it runs in the family. Keep your muscles and organs working I say.

Cheers and enjoy the weekend ryoon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic