School Fees

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

School Fees

Post by Duncan »

Westland International School has just given me the bill for the kids school fees for the next term, The English classes that they attend from 7.40 am till 10.40 am have gone up from $150 to $180 ,, [ level 9B ] for the 16 year old and the 14 year old, and from $115 to $150 for the 7 year old. Don't know about the price for the 4 year old but it was $90.
The Khmer classes they attend at the same school in the afternoon are a lot cheaper being $110, $110 and $98.

I know I should not be quibbling about prices of education for kids but the cost are getting out of hand for me when you add everything up plus clothing, shoes, and pocket money.

Question for school teacher on the forum , What are the students paying at your school?.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: School Fees

Post by phuketrichard »

my god, ur complaining about this little amount>>
my daughters school fees for her international school were $8,500-12,500/year!! ( years 3-12)
are they barang teachers?

kids aren't cheap :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote:my god, ur complaining about this little amount>>
my daughters school fees for her international school were $8,500-12,500/year!! ( years 3-12)

If I was employed earning good money I would not complain about the amount, but I'm retired. And I know kids are not cheap, that is one of the reasons why I never had any.
How much money would / do you spend on someone else's kids for their education ?
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Duncan wrote:

If I was employed earning good money I would not complain about the amount, but I'm retired. And I know kids are not cheap, that is one of the reasons why I never had any.
How much money would / do you spend on someone else's kids for their education ?
ahh good question, didn't know they weren't ur kids,
we ( my gf & I ) help with her younger sisters education, but only $100/month

Question to you, are they learning? Since they are Cambodian & not urs, why are you paying so much for English lessons? as i assume there in a local Cambodian school.
wouldn't a local teacher be just as good for them?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote:
Duncan wrote:

ahh good question, didn't know they weren't ur kids,
we ( my gf & I ) help with her younger sisters education, but only $100/month

Question to you, are they learning?
Since they are Cambodian & not urs,
why are you paying so much for English lessons
?
as i assume there in a local Cambodian school.
wouldn't a local teacher be just as good for them?
The 16yo is not learning, but that is made up for by the 7 yo being very smart . Although they are all 100 % Cambodian the 7 yo is more English/Australian than Khmer. only looks at internet programs in English , speaks 50/50 % English at home.
So why am I paying too much ? That's the reason of my OP . Am I or am I not ? compared to other schools.
Local gov schools are crap. and the reason they attend this school is because they [ I ] bought a house near so they can walk to school instead of forking out on transport cost.
JanKrohn
Expatriate
Germany

Post by JanKrohn »

"International schools" are mushrooming in Cambodia, so there are less kids per school, therefore, each kid needs to pay more in order that the school's total fund doesn't decrease.

Even simple economic laws such as "supply and demand" work the opposite way in this place!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

its still cheap
$180/term
3 hours/day, 15 hours a week, 60 hours /month, 180 hours/term ( term is 3 months)
so only $1/hour
and less for the younger kids
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote:its still cheap
$180/term
3 hours/day, 15 hours a week, 60 hours /month, 180 hours/term ( term is 3 months)
so only $1/hour
and less for the younger kids
I'm still learning how to operate a calculator. Can you deduct and factor in all the holidays from that for me .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic