What people in different countries eat for breakfast ...

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

What people in different countries eat for breakfast ...

Post by Anchor Moy »

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/articl ... paign=i100
Different countries, different breakfasts. Not surprising, but I couldn't resist the shot of this Peruvian breakfast. I didn't know that guinea pigs come from South America, or that they are edible.
If you'r ever in Peru you can try their traditional breakfast, 'cuy,' also known fondly as guinea pigs.

This traditional dish cooks the animal whole – teeth and nails included – soaks it in salt and garlic to make for crispy skin, and roasts it over a fire.

Can be eaten on their own, or with vegetables.
I like to eat different stuff for breakfast depending on where I am, but some travelers seem quite stuck in their breakfast traditions. Amazes me how some people will come to SEA to eat cornflakes or muesli or whatever. :?
For breakfast, mostly, I eat whatever's going. :beer1:
What's your weirdest breakfast ?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: What people in different countries eat for breakfast ...

Post by General Mackevili »

A guinea pig? That's a pet, for Christ's sake!

I eat the most boring breakfast ever these days. Oatmeal with raisins, chopped almonds (I think that's what they are), honey and milk.

Well, that's if there's no leftover pizza or kebabs in the fridge. Luckily there's a kebab in there for tomorrow morning

The strangest breakfast I had was that porridge (ba-boa?) and some funky salted fish thrown in. I ate that a couple months straight while living in a village outside Siem Reap. Only ate it because I didn't have a choice.

Thinking about it now makes me want to puke. Salted fish is probably the last thing I ever want to taste first thing in the morning.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Red hot Goan special baji. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: A saucer of peas, onions, potato and chilly etc. That wakes you up. I used to eat it with 1 or 2 Goan breads at a cost of 2-3 US cents back in the early 80's. Hard to find it nowadays. Not the same quality and I think its around 75 c now.

Last edited by juansweetpotato on Wed May 18, 2016 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

Fur Burger !!! :thumb:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

im guessing its these kind of guinea pig.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montane_guinea_pig

my common breakfast in England would be my 6am portion of porridge oats before work...
my common breakfast in Cambodia would be a 3 egg omelette with cheese, onion, sausage and pepper

my favourite breakfast would be the traditional full English fry up (by a long shot)
my favourite breakfast out in the provinces would be a common helping of pork/dried fish & rice

after a night out id often buy 2 pizzas, one for when i got home and one for breakfast lol
after a night out, anything thats in the close vicinity will soon become breakfast whether it be left over pizza, kebab, fried chicken, vagina...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:im guessing its these kind of guinea pig.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montane_guinea_pig

my common breakfast in England would be my 6am portion of porridge oats before work...
my common breakfast in Cambodia would be a 3 egg omelette with cheese, onion, sausage and pepper

my favourite breakfast would be the traditional full English fry up (by a long shot)
my favourite breakfast out in the provinces would be a common helping of pork/dried fish & rice

after a night out id often buy 2 pizzas, one for when i got home and one for breakfast lol
after a night out, anything thats in the close vicinity will soon become breakfast whether it be left over pizza, kebab, fried chicken, vagina...
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:im guessing its these kind of guinea pig.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montane_guinea_pig

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Why do I always see beans listed on a Full English Breakfast? Do you brits actually eat those sickeningly sweet canned beans for breakfast? On toast FFS? Or is that someone somewhere in Cambo came up with.
My GF eats rice for breakfast. And lunch. And dinner. And snacks. She's cheap to feed. :bow:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic