Mother arrested for saying "ja".

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Mother arrested for saying "ja".

Post by Username Taken »

Rutiger wrote:I don't ever remember hearing "ja" spoken specifically for the word "yes".
I had always understood Ka and Ja to be interchangeable for women's use. I just stumbled on the link below. Sorry, it's not endorsed by the King or anything but it's pretty much as I understood it to mean.

http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p245139
"Ja" is tone dependent. I have been encouraged to use it to mean 'yes'. Isan females clearly use it as a sort of 'ok' style (like yeah, yeah, yeah) acknowledgement at the end of sentences or phrases when they are the listener. Here's what I have:

จะ (auxiliary). Shall, will, would.
จ้ะ (interjection) yes! - mainly (my emph.) for female speakers [note mai-toh]
จ๊ะ (participle) used in questions to urge or suggest. [note mai-trii]

I think (but don't have proof) that the longer usage - like 'Nong Jaaaaa' is northern dialect, rather than Thai Glang.

Edit: a few minutes research throws this up:

จ้า - Jah, as the polite particle in the north. In Thai Glang it means Bright or Strong.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ja is the female form of yes in Khmer too, and there's probably some link as she looks quite Isaan/Surin. It's bullshit getting busted for saying yes, because it's a word often used just to close a weary conversation, like "sure" or something. It's more just an affirmation that something exists or an acknowledgement of someone's thoughts, but not necessarily positive or in agreement at all in meaning.

Poonsuk Poonsukcharoen. That is a lot Poonsuk.
:lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

It's more just an affirmation that something exists or an acknowledgement of someone's thoughts, but not necessarily positive or in agreement at all in meaning.
Here is the problem, there saying by saying "ja" she acknowledge it, when she should have said "mi" or had it deleted.
dammed if u do, dammed if u dont

women say "Ja", sorta mean like "yea "in english
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

But when a woman says yes ok she normally means no
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Supposed explanation by the junta on why saying "ja" was a crime. Taken from anti-govt blog:
Political Prisoners in Thailand
Oppose lese majeste law and human rights abuses in Thailand
https://thaipoliticalprisoners.wordpres ... e-chankij/

Further updated: On the junta’s lese majeste hostage II
7 05 2016
Thai Lawyers for Human Rights have posted an English-language account of the military dictatorship’s ridiculous allegations of lese majeste against Patnaree Chankij.

We won’t reproduce it all, just this important paragraph filled with the nonsense and concoctions that are defining of the dictatorship:

“In the [Facebook] chat, Mr. Burin who used his Facebook account named “Burin Intin” had posted messages obviously deemed defamatory to the monarchy. During the chat, Mr. Burin had also wrote “Don’t criticise me for saying all these”, and a reply had come from a Facebook account “Nuengnuch Chankij writing ‘Ja’. Such reply implied the acknowledgement and agreement with the alleged posts made by Mr. Burin. Therefore, judging from the circumstances and the acts of the user of Facebook account named “Nuengnuch Chankij”, the user is an accomplice to Mr. Burin in the act to post the messages defamatory, insulting, or threatening to the King, the Queen, and the Heir-apparent and to bring into a computer system data which is an offence against national security. Had the Facebook user “Nuengnuch Chankij” not agreed with the alleged posts made by Mr. Burin, she would have stopped him from posting the messages or blamed him for doing so. Instead, her reply “Ja” simply infers her consent (to the act).”
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

andy1 wrote:But when a woman says yes ok she normally means no
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote:Ja is the female form of yes in Khmer too, It's more just an affirmation that something exists or an acknowledgement of someone's thoughts, but not necessarily positive or in agreement at all in meaning.
yeah what ive been told in my khmer studies is that Baat/Ja arent direct yes answers but more a gesture of acknowledgment/understanding of what the person is saying, and to give the direct confirmatory answer you would then repeat back the question word/s
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic