info for cost to build

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Glauco83
Expatriate
Italy

info for cost to build

Post by Glauco83 »

Hello! i want build 2/3 little house in wood in Otres..
The quote that a builder give to me is: 180$ for sqm in wood and 220$ in concrete. If i will do a second floor the price for sqm will be discount of 10%.
In the price there are all: bathroom, door and windows, electric....
What do you think?
do you have any advice for a good builder?
Thanks
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: info for cost to build

Post by Luigi »

can not help you with a builder. I live in a 28'x28' western style brick home ground floor. Using your #'s. 728 sq' = 68m. squared X $220. because why build a house for termite food = about $15k. (anyone please correct my math at will.) If my #'s r correct that is a deal.
My home owner told me it cost about $30k. That's move in ready.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

If you're ever down Ochheuteal take a look at Mom's, behind Porky's and Sky bar. That's what you can build for $20,000 out of brick and metal here on the cheap. Ten double rooms, four bathrooms and a bar the front. Couple grand more for fixtures and fittings. Basic khmer finish. Non-flammable, bug resistant. My house is 4m x 12, two stories and a roof terrace, although it's terraced itself so fewer external walls would have kept the costs down. Moderate khmer/Vietnamese finish, if it was more than $35,000 then I'd be surprised, given the price offered before it was built and the one I paid when it was nearly completed.
If you're going to build out of wood once he's done you'll need to go over the whole building sealing it up to protect it from the weather and bugs. This will be a regular event for you, as well as replacing panels as they go bad. What kind of roof is he offering for that price? Metal, wood or straw?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

That's why I started this topic on shipping containers. If you want that ''wood '' look, then line the inside with wood.

On this land that you want to build ,,, do you have a hard title for it in your name ?

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/topic8646.html

Container homes in Vietnam

http://tanthanhcontainer.com/pictures/d ... -7-lon.jpg

http://tanthanhcontainer.com/pictures/d ... -6-nho.jpg

http://tanthanhcontainer.com/pictures/d ... -2-nho.jpg
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

i just finish building a 3 room (4m x 5m), ground floor with metal roof, water tower, cost abt 5k+, thats becoz i have my own workers, 6 of them 10$ per day, i juz buy the raw materials and they build it, but the finishing is pretty raw, but i dont care, its not for me to live in its for my workers in the farm.

so you need to ask around, most likely you will find somebody with some sort experience in building a simple house.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

bolueeleh wrote:i just finish building a 3 room (4m x 5m), ground floor with metal roof, water tower, cost abt 5k+, thats becoz i have my own workers, 6 of them 10$ per day, i juz buy the raw materials and they build it, but the finishing is pretty raw, but i dont care, its not for me to live in its for my workers in the farm.

so you need to ask around, most likely you will find somebody with some sort experience in building a simple house.

A simular price to the one I built for a family member.

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/topic1423.html
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

A WORD OF ADVICE:

Draw exact pictures and plans or - better - make a cute scale model so your builder knows EXACTLY what is in your mind
and what you want.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

mammothboy2 wrote:A WORD OF ADVICE:

Draw exact pictures and plans or - better - make a cute scale model so your builder knows EXACTLY what is in your mind
and what you want.

Bad advice,, Everyone here knows that they cannot read a map, so why would you think they can read a set of plans. They are going to build it how they see it, and how they think you want it.. My advice is ,,, make sure you builder is Vietnamese not Cambodian.

I had a Vietnamese guy build and install this window in my building in PP yesterday for $100 . He had a detailed set of plans but still put the latches on the wrong side. However, I would still recommend him if anyone wants work done.

bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

the best is to supervise them everyday like a hawk
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

mammothboy2 wrote:A WORD OF ADVICE:

and what you want.

Google sketchup is your friend when it comes to this. I use it all the time. I think the 3D aspect of it with orbiting helps them conceptualize better than a sketch on paper.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic