Thailand’s secret story: the battle for a $37b royal estate

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Thailand’s secret story: the battle for a $37b royal est

Post by Sailorman »

After many decades the story I've gotten is this, true or false, I don't know. The last King backed the Japs in WWII, but there was a faction of Thai military/Navy that actually waged limited war on the Japs. (I've been to a monument with an ex-Admiral of the Thai navy to the Thai navy people that staged a naval battle against the japs.) BTW/ US B-24s flying out of India bombed Bangkok during WWII.
Fearing negative future relations with the west and the US, a Thai general shot the king in his bed. Two or three servants took the fall and lost their heads. If this was sanctioned by the present king or even took place, I have no evidence, but this is the story I got from a source that was alive at the time and a high military leader.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Thailand’s secret story: the battle for a $37b royal est

Post by phuketrichard »

he was found shot dead in his bed. Although at first thought to have been an accident, medical examiners ruled it a murder and three royal pages were later executed following very irregular trials. The mysterious circumstances surrounding his death have been the subject of much controversy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ananda_Mahidol

ad thats all i can say on that

In 1935 King Pradhipok abdicated the throne, following disagreements with the increasingly authoritarian government. Rama VII lived in exile in the United Kingdom until his death. The king was replaced by his young nephew Ananda Mahidol (or Rama VIII). The new king was 10 years old and was living abroad in Switzerland; a council of regents was appointed in his place. During this period the roles and powers of the King were entirely usurped by the fascist government of Plaek Phibunsongkhram, who aligned Siam on the side of the Axis powers during the Second World War. By the end of the war Phibunsongkhram was removed and the young King returned. During the War many of the King's relatives were part of the Free Thai movement, which provided resistance to foreign occupation during the war and helped rehabilitate Thailand after the war.
the future>>>>>

god only knows
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic