Alcohol laws will save Cambodian youth ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Alcohol laws will save Cambodian youth ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

SinnSisamouth wrote:i really hope I dont ever meet you at a party.
Sometimes people forget that this is not a party :Yahoo!: but an online forum. :(
Yeah, I know, bummer.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bolueeleh wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:it does not says how many of these 2 wheelers died becoz of weaving in n out of traffic or turning without checking blindspot or dashing across the road or going in the opposite direction or riding in the blindspot of another vehicle.
Yes it does - the majority of deaths are caused by speeding, reckless driving and not wearing a helmet.
i meant most of the deaths are caused by the 2 wheelers disregard for their lives and others and totally no respect for traffic laws or common sense
Totally. Many people drive a bit silly here and pull stupid moves like suddenly doing u-turns without checking behind etc. However if you are experienced driving/ riding here you can expect those moves and take precautions or just keep aware that anything can happen. There are a whole load of idiots waving around the road not knowing where they are going or texting while going through junctions the wrong way. They all drive slowly enough though.
The only people who freak me out are the ones who rip through the traffic and weave through it at insane speed. They scare me because they don't give a fuck and they know nobody can stop them. They are usually teenage boys, and that MSX Honda is their current bike of choice.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

ive noticed barang drive like locals too.

nearly got taken out by an old english guy in a battered tico just crossed onto wrong side of the road and drove wrong way up.

some girl fell off her bike and we all ended up stopped I jumped off and go him a right bollocking,effingband jeffing away it looked like he was going to cry!

left him to the crowd of angry khmers and police,who always appear from know where!

gave him a friendly wave and "wanker" sign as I left

twat
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

bolueeleh wrote:
Kuroneko wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:it does not says how many of these 2 wheelers died becoz of weaving in n out of traffic or turning without checking blindspot or dashing across the road or going in the opposite direction or riding in the blindspot of another vehicle.
Yes it does - the majority of deaths are caused by speeding, reckless driving and not wearing a helmet.
i meant most of the deaths are caused by the 2 wheelers disregard for their lives and others and totally no respect for traffic laws or common sense
I must say I'm surprised it's motorcycles that are causing most of the road deaths. I thought it was cars and trucks.

Also, never give alcohol to a stupid person.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

All this stuff about bad driving is interesting, but the law is going to outlaw all people under 21 from drinking, full stop. Supposedly. How are they going to deal with this ?
The law, which was drafted in July last year but has yet to be approved, sets the legal age limit for alcohol consumption at 21, with Cambodia being among a small number of countries that has no legal drinking age.
It will also apply to foreign tourists of course. So ... No more buckets on Pub St; show your ID in hostess bars on Vic Hill,same in the beach bars in SV and all the mom & pop beer shops etc. Well, that will finish all the cheap-drink backpacker bars - $1 tequila shots - at least. And when you think of all the places that sell beer in Cambodia ...:stir:

I don't mind personally (since I've been over 21 for a while), but how are the party places going to manage ? And did anyone even think about what a 21 yo drinking law would do for the tourist sector ?
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Also, never give alcohol to a stupid person.
Looks like you're shit out of luck Jamie
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

juansweetpotato wrote:I'd just make those shit beer companies produce something clean and drinkable, along with forcing them to lower their prices so that the poor don't have to resort to dogey rice wine. In any case its a moot point, as whether they're drinking or not most of them still act like assholes.

There was a midget or dwarf in his 30's or 40's outside Capital trying to make a living out of weighing people. When the tuk tuk drivers spotted him they started picking him up like he was a child and taking the piss out of him. This was in the early PM so they weren't even that drunk.

Yet another display of how Khmer like to be more pwerful than one another. The kids haven't got a chance. I'm surprised they aren't all alchies already.
I feel like recently, every posts you made about Cambodian seemed to be really negative. I am not saying that all of us are great people, but not all of us are bad people. You don't have to be like Camnivang as he always has nothing good to talk about Cambodian.

While you are complaining about Cambodian, you really should walk out of your house and see how many white dickheads out there.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Samouth wrote:
While you are complaining about Cambodian, you really should walk out of your house and see how many white dickheads out there.
Hey! I'm not disagreeing with you.

You should also see the parts of my posts that temper them somewhat. Like admiring the smart, honest, caring ones. To tell the truth, I am so up and down in this place it's starting to get scary!

I mean, if I were to meet you, and we were having a conversation about transliteration and I mentioned that in Vietnam they have had a standardized form for over 300 years, but later pushed by the French and then Ho Chi Minh to become nationwide. You would probably think I was having a go at you. If I met Khmer's that could agree with me on such obvious points of how their country might advance then I would start to see a real interaction between them and myself. It seems that your brothers only want to interact with certain people and not others. I have never had a problem anywhere else with this. Can you explain to me why you think that is?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic