Black pudding / Tripe the French way

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Black pudding / Tripe the French way

Post by mammothboy2 »

Today THE DANCING FROG in Siem Reap
had exquisite home-made black puddings* and tomorrow, Wednesday the 4th May, the guvnor will make Tripe the way they do it in Caen.

*In Lancashire & Yorkshire more pepper and spice would have been included in the mix but the black puddings were exquisite anyway ($5)

The guvnor, Christian, either supervises the cooking or does it himself.

A WORD OF CONTRITION AND APOLOGY: Being busy (alas) and currently slightly poor
I have yet to check out anywhere else.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Re: Black pudding / Tripe the French way

Post by mammothboy2 »

I ought to have added that the pork in the black puddings is (it is claimed) 100% organic and that the pigs which so selflessly laid down their lives led a stressfree and happy lives romping about in a vast meadow and sometimes watching TV shows like the Teletubbies right up to the inevitable Last Moment.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

think ill go check it out tomorrow, i used to live opposite there at Popular boutique hotel, and im only staying round the corner 2 mins on my moto
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

mammothboy2 wrote:I ought to have added that the pork in the black puddings is (it is claimed) 100% organic and that the pigs which so selflessly laid down their lives led a stressfree and happy lives romping about in a vast meadow and sometimes watching TV shows like the Teletubbies right up to the inevitable Last Moment.
Bore vs Boar:
Thank you Mam2 for making JL feel better about eating this laidback pig.
Meanwhile, his cousin, the boar from Ratanakiri, killed a man and then got shot with arrows and guns for over an hour before he gave up his life; I think he was watching different stuff on TV. :assasin:

A Ratanakkiri province man was gored to death by a wild boar on Sunday.

Ket Chem, chief of Patang commune in Lumphat district, said that Orch Mou, 32, and Tey Neang, 31, had set out with four dogs, a crossbow and a machete to hunt squirrels in a forest inside an economic land concession belonging to DM Group, about 7 kilometres from their village.

At about 11am, the two Tompuon men’s dogs began to bark as the boar approached.

“They shot the wild boar with several chhor chork,” he said, referring to snake venom-tipped bolts traditionally employed by ethnic minority groups. “But it did not die.”

Neang managed to flee up a tree, but the 103-kilogram wild pig caught Mou mid-climb, inflicting serious injuries to his back, waist and legs. “The boar gored him to the ground,” Chem said.

Still in the tree, Neang used his mobile phone to call villager Thin Klin, 50. However, Mou succumbed to his wounds before making it to the hospital, Chem said.

When villagers finally arrived to help, it took them nearly an hour to kill the boar, Chem said.

“The boar was finally killed after being shot about 20 times . . . during about one hour of fighting
,” Chem said, adding that villagers had been killed by boars in the past.

The slain boar was carried to Mou’s home, where it was eaten during his funeral. :thumb:
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/m ... atanakkiri
A bit OT, but hey, two different approaches to eating pig in Cambodia. :beer3: That wild one sounds like he was a bit stressed tbh.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Tripes à la mode Caen : if it smells a bit like shit and tastes a bit like shit, don't be alarmed, it was made from shit to begin with... :stir:
Not my cup of tea whereas I dig into an andouillette de Troye big time.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Tripes à la mode Caen : if it smells a bit like shit and tastes a bit like shit, don't be alarmed, it was made from shit to begin with... :stir:
I thought andouillette was the one made from rectums.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

cptrelentless wrote:
Barang_doa_slae wrote:Tripes à la mode Caen : if it smells a bit like shit and tastes a bit like shit, don't be alarmed, it was made from shit to begin with... :stir:
I thought andouillette was the one made from rectums.
You got me here, I didn't really know the difference in the making so I had to check online.
Apparently tripes are only made from stomachs of ruminant animals (cows mainly) while andouilletes which also use stomach but other parts of the intestines as well are normally made from pigs.

As for the idiom, it actually can be used for both dishes :hattip:
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Tripe in the manner of the Dancing Frog in Siem Reap has/had nothing of the merde about it at all. Unlike the tripe last devoured in West Africa, it was unspicy.

The black pudding the preceding day was a better gastronomic experience, however.

As ever, the patron's personal hands-on touch is what makes eating at the Dancing Frog a truly agreeable experience.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

My (western) father loved to eat tripe, but it smells like shit and he used to cook it for himself when the family was away (because it stunk so much when it was cooked.)
I knew a khmer guy who would ALWAYS order guts and shit for dinner after we told him " order anything but guts"; I think he enjoyed his joke.
Guts and offal are an aquired taste. You love it or you hate it.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

just had black pudding at la mastrrieee something, used to be la patate, its on riverside PP, good black pudding as always, nice and rich and flavourful, but minus the fat belgium boss with crazy moustache, he sold the place to 2 new belgium guys.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic