OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Re: OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"

Post by Rain Dog »

StroppyChops wrote:"We" want your soul, Rain Dog. :D
Wanted? Dead or Alive? :mrgreen:
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Oh, I'll need to baptise you, so why not one, and then the other? An express package!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

StroppyChops wrote:Oh, I'll need to baptise you, so why not one, and then the other? An express package!
Sorry -- sold my soul in Mexico a long time ago in exchange for a case of Bohemia, Bottle of
Casa Noble Single Barrel Anejo Tequila and an imported carton of Cohiba Millennium Reserve Pirámide.

Most say I got the better end of the deal.

You will need to go to Mexico to locate it.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

LOL! You bargain hard, obviously.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Rain Dog wrote: I have never stated "The Jews Run Hollywood".
[...]
It is not "Anti-Semitic" to suggest that Jewish and specifically Pro-Israel forces pretty much dictate what Americans see when it comes to news and entertainment imagery about how religious/ethnic groups, faiths, and middle eastern politics are portrayed.

Surely you can see the differences between the two statements?
No, not really at all. "pretty much dictate" and "run" would be about as close as synonyms get without being the same word.
Rain Dog wrote: I believe the evidence on this issue is overwhelming. If you wish to pursue further, I am happy to make my case. You will need to do better than "Passion of Christ" --- which as shown earlier actually supports my point of view.

Also you fully misrepresent the reaction to "Passion of Christ". The so called "Rampant Protests' you refer too were from a small subset of a demographic that makes up less than 2% of the USA population. Unfortunately they had a lot of clout with Fox so Fox pulled it and the resulting backlash ensued.

Also the "Christian Community" did NOT condemn the film. Some segments criticized it for some of the "Artistic License" Gibson took with certain parts of the Bible (e.g., Jesus stepping on the serpent). This happens with ANY religious film as it is impossible to please everyone with an interpretation of a topic so sensitive.

Let's Try to keep it real ok? (No I did not mean Keeping it Riel)
I think approx 2% of the population protesting any piece of pop culture qualifies as rampant. This isn't protesting bank fraud or war we're talking about, it's a movie.... movies rarely get protested at all. Again, you say it was something "the establishment tried to kill off", when really it was just a group of protesters. Had they not protested, Fox would have ran with it. Your reference to his anti-semitic slurs later though makes it comical that you think that it wasn't intended to be an anti-semitic movie though. And my exact words regarding the christian community were "condemned it as not following the story accurately and having too much "gore" violence"... the latter part you seem to have ignored while repeating the first part as the argument against the statement itself.

Rain Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote: Speaking of brainwashing... the actions by the ADL and the polarization (to some extent) of the religious groups was the best free marketing a crappy gore flick with a Christian theme could have ever hoped for. People who didn't even WANT to see it did so just out of some sense of obligation... you mean to tell me that wasn't planned? Please. They know how propaganda works... and they worked it to dump hundreds of millions into the box office.
HeHeHe --- so you are suggesting that ADL Conspired with Hollywood to create a false controversey as a marketing effort to increase demand for the movie?

Now THAT is an 'Anti-semitic Conspiracy Theory"

:popcorn:
No, you seem to be the one putting words in my mouth now... lol. I mean that Gibson knew exactly how they would react to it, and used them for free marketing. Just as if I were an actor and sent a letter to WBC telling the I was coming out publicly in my new movie they'd tell EVERYONE about my new movie for me.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

*******SPOILER ALERT*****
DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW SOME OF THE PLOT

Apocalypto is considered a Christian movie? I saw it as a realistic window into a lost civilization, showing the good and bad things about that era in human history. The guy goes through all the hardships to get back to his small village way of life, only to find the next wave of occupiers and
oppressors paddling toward his land, with all the disease, violence and religious persecution the new European overlords were about to bring. I didn't think there was any hidden meaning in there at all. I saw it as an amalgamation of historical events in a part of the world seriously overlooked by film. I have never seen anything like it.

Feel free to move all the movie comments here to a new thread.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I don't think anyone suggested it was a Christian movie... you got your reading mixed up.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Did you hear about the gay missionary who was intent on winning r-souls?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:I don't think anyone suggested it was a Christian movie... you got your reading mixed up.
Rain Dog wrote: I agree with you and Vlad on Apocalypto. I thought it was hard to watch at times due to the extreme violence, but the film itself was excellent. The Cinematography was brilliant and just immersed me into the movie. The real genius is that this may have been the most "Christian Movie" ever made and yet contained not a single reference to Jesus or Christianity. The landscape is literally a portrait of "Hell on Earth" and the evils of idolatry and a corrupt Priesthood. Sort of like a 21st century Cinematographic interpretation of Dante's Inferno. Add to this the themes of hope and faith (The wife and infant in the well), redemption, and divine intervention (The Jaguar scene near the end) and one can see the movie was quite thematic.
I was referring to this post. Did i misread something?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I think OD's been hitting the orange juice again...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic