Cambodia-you make me cry

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia-you make me cry

Post by juansweetpotato »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
bong.kuit wrote:I think in the next sentence he said that "the opposition is the enemy", which I found even more troubling.

If this is their way of thinking, why don't they just say that Cambodia is not a democracy? Because they need to keep that foreign aid coming in I guess...
Problem is that foreign aid is increasingly coming from China who really don't give a fuck. HE is doing his usual. I wonder if he'll play the old Khmer Rouges' songs leading up to the next election again. Intimidation and fear. Al Capone.

Don't forget HE is a god-king.
Or maybe like this?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Post by ruralvoice »

"Duncan, you are a yoyo.". Actually, from my point of view there are some Anglophone posters here( of whom a handful may actually be British) that view themselves as upper crust, top shelf chaps. Compare their condescension with salt of the earth working class posters like Jamie who knows how to take a stand without insulting others.

In any case the purpose of my post is to explore what you find wrong in Cambodia and if you think Cambodians will ever fix it. Politics is just one issue.
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Post by ruralvoice »

I especially encourage Cambodian voices on this topic. Also Cambodian posters who find fault with their foreign neighbors are also encouraged to post.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ruralvoice wrote:"Duncan, you are a yoyo.". Actually, from my point of view there are some Anglophone posters here( of whom a handful may actually be British) that view themselves as upper crust, top shelf chaps. Compare their condescension with salt of the earth working class posters like Jamie who knows how to take a stand without insulting others.
:hattip: youve earnt yourself a beer :good:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ruralvoice wrote:"Duncan, you are a yoyo.". Actually, from my point of view there are some Anglophone posters here( of whom a handful may actually be British) that view themselves as upper crust, top shelf chaps. Compare their condescension with salt of the earth working class posters like Jamie who knows how to take a stand without insulting others.

In any case the purpose of my post is to explore what you find wrong in Cambodia and if you think Cambodians will ever fix it. Politics is just one issue.

And another good thing about Jamie is he does not tell people to kiss my asp.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Duncan wrote:

He can kiss my asp any day of the week. Maybe he can get me a 14 mm ring spanner while he's down there. Don't seem to be able to reach myself nowadays.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Duncan wrote:

i see what you did there :wink:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Post by ruralvoice »

I'd appreciate it if posters would confine themselves to the purpose of this post. Admittedly, I sidetracked it myself with my praise for Jamie, but I would prefer this post not dwell on personalities.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I think there is certainly grass-roots desire for change but most people I've spoken to don't feel particularly empowered. I nagged my wife to register and vote, despite her family being CPP, but even though I keep telling her it's PR, so any fruit loop with enough followers gets a seat, theoretically, she's hard to motivate. There's a guy on the island, 20-something, all facebook and twitter and shit, English girlfriend off having a baby in London - I say to him, why not at least vote for someone else, or take a number two on the ballot?
What can I do? Who will listen? Various excuses.
The status quo has become comfortable for a lot of them, but it is essentially the yoof who need to do something. Millennials. Something like 30% of the population is under 25? Is that right? Certainly constantly ding-dong-dilley bells around my streets. Maybe we have to wait 10 years
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Post by ruralvoice »

Duncan wrote" And another good thing about Jamie is he does not tell people to kiss my asp."

I'll try not to hold it against him.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic