Shipping Containers

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Shipping Containers

Post by Duncan »

I cannot understand why more people don't use shipping containers for homes especially those that have lost their land or had homes demolished. If the container has a roof placed over the top of it to stop the sun heating up the container and it is also lined on the inside they make very nice homes. One other advantage is they can be easily moved if you don't own the land it sits on.

http://portshippingcontainers.com.au/co ... homes.html
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Shipping Containers

Post by Jerry Atrick »

It's not particularly cost effective here in Cambodia. Red bricks, blue pvc piping and roof tiles cost less per square metre than a donger/container.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Jerry Atrick wrote:It's not particularly cost effective here in Cambodia. Red bricks, blue pvc piping and roof tiles cost less per square metre than a donger/container.
This, I looked into this a few years ago and it was way cheaper to build a house using bricks than to use a shipping container.

I will try and dig up the working I did and share it.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
Jerry Atrick wrote:It's not particularly cost effective here in Cambodia. Red bricks, blue pvc piping and roof tiles cost less per square metre than a donger/container.
This, I looked into this a few years ago and it was way cheaper to build a house using bricks than to use a shipping container.

I will try and dig up the working I did and share it.

A crane lifting a shipping container home to move it, is much more easy than moving a home brick by brick. Remember we are talking about poor people that probably don't own land and could be asked to move several times over their life time.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Nope.

The two grand a container would cost, before furnishing or moving it, would buy a hectare of land in most provinces with reasonably secure title.

Any family who could afford a container wouldn't be worried about being evicted numerous times.
bobagubi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bobagubi »

Has anyone direct experience with purchasing shipping containers here in Cambodia, or working on them at all?
សូមអរគុណសូមជំរាបលា។
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I looked into purchasing shipping containers to build a small (temporary) home on land we own in Kampot, the cheapest we could find for a 40ft container in good enough condition was $5000. It doesn't make sense financially to build container homes in Cambodia.

There is a Real Estate agent in Kampot I know who built a small container home, he said he wasted too much money and will stick with brick-n-mortar or wooden homes.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:46 pm I looked into purchasing shipping containers to build a small (temporary) home on land we own in Kampot, the cheapest we could find for a 40ft container in good enough condition was $5000. It doesn't make sense financially to build container homes in Cambodia.

There is a Real Estate agent in Kampot I know who built a small container home, he said he wasted too much money and will stick with brick-n-mortar or wooden homes.
Yes! the price is certainly off-putting. So much more then in 1st world countries. I knew of someone who did it here, of course there is the price of the truck and hi-hab to deliver it too. The story there was it was a little muddy down the track so the truck off loaded up the road, basically dumping the home not at home.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Captain Bonez wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:51 pm Image
Shipping container home, modern styling, with tree shade in own courtyard, and freshly combed lawn.
I can see the attraction. Just one or two questions arise...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic