Cambodians return home

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Cambodians return home

Post by Duncan »

My prediction is there is going to be a big gap in the labour supply market in Thailand especially in the lower class manufacturing and farming and those employers will have to pay a higher monthly salary from now on to attract [ Thai ] workers, which will lead to higher prices, and higher inflation .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Last night while dropping off my laundry close to riverside a group of young women dressed like garment workers came up to me pleading for money...I thought they were garbage collectors and I said in Khmer asking them if thats what they were...they kept saying Thailand over and over. It didn't dawn on me till like an hour later who they were. Really said they are just walking around aimless lee near old market.

They were sexy as hell also.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Duncan wrote:My prediction is there is going to be a big gap in the labour supply market in Thailand especially in the lower class manufacturing and farming and those employers will have to pay a higher monthly salary from now on to attract [ Thai ] workers, which will lead to higher prices, and higher inflation .
I suspect you're right Duncan but only if there is a problem with those workers leaving obtaining the necessary papers to return.I've no idea what and how long the process is but I think it would be economic suicide if this is not just a legitimising exercise. I worked in a business that required large numbers of contact labour at relatively short notice and even 18 months ago it was getting extremely difficult to source labour close to home. We were having to go to agents further up country and our pay rates were considerably higher than the minimum wage levels. Inflation has already been on the rise here for some time and if it gets worse I can forsee further economic strains.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

read what i wrote how easy it is to return with proper documents.

there will be plenty of employers begging for workers in a week.

this is a joke right>?
telling the workers that they arrived at a good time when some “half a million workers” are needed in Cambodia.

“Please think about taking local work opportunities, which have no risks and are near your homes and in your country,” he said.

Meanwhile, the opposition party yesterday used the border situation as an opportunity to criticise the ruling Cambodian People’s Party for not installing a long-term reintegration policy.

“This government does not have a plan for all these people because the political platform of the Cambodian People’s Party does not have any clear job creation platform,” said Kem Sokha, acting president of the CNRP.
Yea, stay an work in Cambodia for slave wages( less than $3 /day vs travel to Thailand and make $10++/day)

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/b ... ill-mounts
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

LTO wrote: I don't know if any of it is true, but the report has been circulating for a couple days now. And it's not too difficult to believe given the Thai penchant for gunning down Cambodians (usually illegal loggers) illegally crossing into Thailand.
Personally I agree with PhuketRichard's position that a military takeover was necessary. That said, I think that it is likely that Reports of targeting and harassing immigrant labor are probably accurate. The old "irrational Khmers will repeat any unfounded rumor" gets a little tired.

Thailand does have a lower end labor shortage but it is not nearly as bad as many state. The real issue has been giving "Elite" business owners (often but not always Thaskin Cronies) access to low cost labor at levels Thais find unappealing. By removing this "privilege" Thai Business will be forced to Employ Thai labor instead ---- at fair local market wages --- thus enhancing the image of the Junta among working class Thais.

Unfortunately, as is usually the case, it is the Poor (Mostly from Cambodia and Myanmar) that will suffer the most from all the political maneuvering.

As much as the coup was needed ---- to buy into all their propaganda hook, line, and sinker is very naive.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

CHANTHABURI, June 19 -- The problem of departing Cambodian workers flocking back to their homeland due to the rumour that the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) planned a crackdown on foreign workers has now eased.

The situation at the Thai-Cambodian border in Chanthaburi province, both at the permanent Thai-Cambodian checkpoint at Pong Nam Ron district and the temporary border crossing at Soi Dao district has returned to normal.

A large group of Cambodians have been waiting to cross the border to the Thai side since early today to purchase consumer goods and to work.

The border crossings have seen a week of foreign labourers leaving the country, as many Cambodian workers feared they would be expelled from Thailand by the ruling military junta.

Nonetheless, Chanthaburi Thai-Cambodian Border Tourism and Trade Association vice-chairman Sombat Jeungtrakul said the labourers coming back to Thailand today are mostly workers who returned home to legalise their documents to be able to work legally in Thailand.

Mr Sombat said the minimum wage in Thailand is three times higher than in Cambodia, attracting many Khmers to return to Thailand to seek employment. (MCOT online news
) :beer3: :beer3:
Unfortunately, as is usually the case, it is the Poor (Mostly from Cambodia and Myanmar) that will suffer the most from all the political maneuvering.
I don't think the poor migrant workers will suffer one bit an in fact they will be better off.
They will return to Thailand, LEGAL which means they cant be scammed or cheated. They will have full medical insurance as well. Thailand will raise there wages after this latest exodus so they will be making almost 4x the min in Cambodia.

Down here in the south no one left that i have seen, IT was mostly up in ESSAN and samut prakan ( fishing industry) area.

BUT dont get me wrong. the future it still uncertain as Thailand is still under martial law an no sign of that being lifted.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Duncan wrote:My prediction is there is going to be a big gap in the labour supply market in Thailand especially in the lower class manufacturing and farming and those employers will have to pay a higher monthly salary from now on to attract [ Thai ] workers, which will lead to higher prices, and higher inflation .
Todays post says ,,Thai rice prices have increased to a 3 month high.We are now facing labour shortages and tight supplies which will boost prices short term.
As many as 70 % of the workers involved in loading grain at warehouses and moving it to vessels have left the country.
Only about 500 tonnes of rice a day can be loaded now , compared with 2,000 - 3000 tonnes normally.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

phuketrichard wrote:
CHANTHABURI, June 19 -- The problem of departing Cambodian workers flocking back to their homeland due to the rumour that the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) planned a crackdown on foreign workers has now eased.

The situation at the Thai-Cambodian border in Chanthaburi province, both at the permanent Thai-Cambodian checkpoint at Pong Nam Ron district and the temporary border crossing at Soi Dao district has returned to normal.

A large group of Cambodians have been waiting to cross the border to the Thai side since early today to purchase consumer goods and to work.

The border crossings have seen a week of foreign labourers leaving the country, as many Cambodian workers feared they would be expelled from Thailand by the ruling military junta.

Nonetheless, Chanthaburi Thai-Cambodian Border Tourism and Trade Association vice-chairman Sombat Jeungtrakul said the labourers coming back to Thailand today are mostly workers who returned home to legalise their documents to be able to work legally in Thailand.

Mr Sombat said the minimum wage in Thailand is three times higher than in Cambodia, attracting many Khmers to return to Thailand to seek employment. (MCOT online news
) :beer3: :beer3:
I don't think the poor migrant workers will suffer one bit an in fact they will be better off.
They will return to Thailand, LEGAL which means they cant be scammed or cheated. They will have full medical insurance as well. Thailand will raise there wages after this latest exodus so they will be making almost 4x the min in Cambodia.

Down here in the south no one left that i have seen, IT was mostly up in ESSAN and samut prakan ( fishing industry) area.

BUT dont get me wrong. the future it still uncertain as Thailand is still under martial law an no sign of that being lifted.
As long as the Cambodian government has no concern about their citizens working abroad and well being, dont expect other countries to.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

this is great!!! Cambodia realizes that they cant feed, house, transport or employee the workers and they are are worried about losing the $$ that the workers send home;
so they stepped up to the plate an will now assist the workers in being legal!!!!
Following an exodus of more than 200,000 Cambodian workers from Thailand in the past two weeks, the junta has urged Cambodia to expedite planned border offices that will facilitate legal labour migration.

Responding to that request, Cambodia announced yesterday that the first “one-stop service office” would open at Banteay Meanchey’s Poipet International Checkpoint in July.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/% ... nts-border

Thailand has had one stop service for years
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

Thai Junta's Censorship Extends Beyond the Kingdom
http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/4060

" the Thai embassy in London put pressure on SOAS’s Thai Society to cancel the even "

" the Thai ambassador to the United Kingdom has now himself been “summoned” by the junta. "

" Such demands create a chilling effect in Thai communities outside Thailand. "

And the obvious
Thailand’s military coup has plunged the country back into a time-warp. The coup emerges from a very deep and persistent socio-political crisis, now a decade old. The last time the military seized power, in 2006, it utterly failed to resolve this crisis: despite rigging the constitution, it could not exclude from power the “red-shirt” forces represented by Pheu Thai (formerly Thai Rak Thai and the People’s Power Party). Instead, when democracy was restored, these forces were re-elected, as they have been at every election since 2001. The same held when the military engineered a change of government in 2008: the new regime could not last, and ended up killing around 90 anti-government protestors in a violent crackdown in 2010.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic