For Serious Trainspotters Only

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: For Serious Trainspotters Only

Post by Sailorman »

Toll has the lease to run the railroad for 30 years, but a subcontractor/French company did the railbed and did such a poor job they had to go back and redo a lot after the rainy season. That and the old rolling stock is probably why it goes 35MPH. In the flat ground about half way to Kampot, a couple fast dogs kept up with us for a couple blocks.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Cambodia 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive.

I would guess that that old steam Loco has at least twice the power of the old/tired diesel engines they are running. If they had some decent track it would be interesting what it could do when they let it build up a good head of steam and let it loose. Well over a 100 years ago in America, steam engines were doing over 100mph. The working (operating) pressure for those old steam locos was around 90 to 150 psi. The last steam powered ship I worked (880ft), the working/operating pressure was 900psi and it had 35,000hp at the shaft.
Sistership pictures
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

Sailorman wrote:As my post shows, did it, liked it (SKV/Kampot R/T), but it needs to be able to go faster. The French company that redid (and redid) the rail bed should be held accountable for a botched job. It looks like they used used rails. They do weld them together (then new process instead of bolting together), but you can still see the holes in the rails for bolts. The rails make a lot noise where new welded rails do not. They also need new rolling stock. The engines and cars are very old. Being a diesel mechanic (very large ocean going diesel engines) I can tell you that the engines on the trains I was on were not very well maintained. The blew a lot of black smoke which is either tired engines (rings, bearings, etc) or they need to replace the fuel injectors with new/clean ones. Notice the black soot on the yellow locomotive pictured. You don't get that with a happy diesel engine.

Granted its was a first step, but with the money they spent, a lot may have been diverted to private pockets and not put into rolling stock. Over the years I have ridden all sorts of class's on Thai trains and I would say that the Cambodia train was about the same as a Thai third class local train.

They should bring out that big old steam locomotive they have and run a tourist train. Lots of steam fans around the world would go for a package trip to Cambodia if they could ride an old steam Loco. Advertise it good and maybe tie it in with a cruise ship down in Snookyville. This would help pay for new rolling stock for the locals trains.

I want that beautiful steam train, not the banana slug. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic