Deadline nears for 4 hostages of Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Deadline nears for 4 hostages of Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines

Post by Rutiger »

The 4 hostages (2 Canadians, 1 Norwegian and 1 filipina girlfriend) were abducted last September from an upscale resort island off Mindanao, in an area considered very safe and far from Islamic rebels, and then taken by boat hundreds of miles away to remote Sulu Island. Sounds like they mean business this time. Ransom demand = 1 billion pesos each, or about $100 million dollars total. I pray not, but we may see an ISIS type beheading video if ransom demands are not met. This group of fuckface kidnappers is waiving around ISIS flags.

(CNN)In a jarring video that surfaced this week, several foreigners plead for their countries to pay ransom to the Abu Sayyaf Islamist group to secure their release -- or else, they say, they'll be killed in a month.

Two men speaking on the video said they were hostages and Canadian citizens. One said he was "being held by Abu Sayyaf for ransom," although he didn't know how much.

"I appeal for my life," the other said, while a militant held a large knife to his neck with one hand and clenched his chin with the other. "... Please do what's needed to meet their demands within one month or they will kill me, and they will execute us."

The Canadian government said later that it knew about the video, but wouldn't elaborate further.

"The government of Canada will not comment or release any information which may compromise ongoing efforts or endanger the safety of Canadian citizens," the brief statement said.

CNN could not independently verify the authenticity of the video, or the legitimacy of the hostage-takers' claims.

These included words from one masked man -- surrounded by others who, like him, were armed -- who urged other countries to "stop procrastinating," giving them until April 8 to act.

If they don't, he said, "I'll do something terrible against these captives."

The two purported Canadians were among three male hostages who spoke English on the latest video, which was originally posted to Facebook. Another apparent hostage, a woman, is also visible.

September abduction
These appear to be the same four people (three foreign men and one Filipina woman) abducted the evening of September 21 at the Oceanview Resort on Samal Island, which lies off the coast of the major southern island of Mindanao, as reported by the official Philippines News Agency.

This part of the southern Philippines is home for Abu Sayyaf, an Islamist militant group that's been linked to al Qaeda. The separatist group has at times preyed on foreigners in recent years, taking them hostage to further its aims.

A few weeks after the September abduction, video came out showing four hostages surrounded by masked, heavily armed militants and banners that appear to be ISIS flags, or jihadist flags which are very similar in appearance to the infamous black-and-white standard.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/10/asia/phil ... index.html
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Deadline nears for 4 hostages of Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

fuck thats not good!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

The batards carried out their threat. There are two more hostages awaiting the same fate.
John Ridsdel: Hostage from Canada killed in Philippines

A Canadian man held captive by Islamist militants for months in the Philippines has been killed.

John Ridsdel, 68, was taken from a tourist resort along with three others by the Abu Sayyaf group in September last year.
Confirming the death, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called it "an act of coldblooded murder".

On Monday a severed head was found on a remote Philippine island, hours after an Abu Sayyaf ransom deadline expired.
The Philippine army has not confirmed if it belonged to one of the captives.

Mr Ridsdel was kidnapped from a marina near the city of Davao along with another Canadian, Robert Hall; a Norwegian, Kjartan Sekkingstad; and a Philippine woman, Mr Hall's girlfriend, Marites Flor.

They were taken 500km (300 miles) to the island of Jolo. Abu Sayyaf released a video of the group in November, demanding $80m (£55m) for their release.
Map showing Jolo and Davao

Mr Ridsdel later warned that he was due to be killed if no ransom was paid.
Several hours after the deadline, a severed head was found in a street on Jolo. The Philippine authorities said it belonged to a foreign man but it has not yet been formally identified.

"It's hard," a friend of Mr Ridsdel, Bob Rae, told CBC News. "It's just very hard. I've been involved behind the scenes for the last six months trying to find a solution and it's been very painful."
A former mining executive, Mr Ridsdel is described by Canadian media as semi-retired.
He also worked as a journalist.
Offering his condolences, Mr Trudeau gave few details, saying he would not compromise the safety of the other captives.
Abu Sayyaf was set up in the 1990s with funding from al-Qaeda, and is fighting for an independent Islamic province in the Philippines.

One of its commanders recently pledged allegiance to so-called Islamic State. The group is also holding several other foreigners.
Eighteen Philippine soldiers were killed in clashes with the militants on Basilan island near Jolo island earlier this month.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36132382
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

just seen this, its possibly one of the worst ways to die
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

I don't think there's a good way to die but beheading should be quick at least. Poor sod.

Oh well, it gives the tourist board a chance to capitalize. "Holidays in the Philippines, so good that you'll lose your head over it."

I think it shows a certain intelligence from the terrorist group that they've started abducting people from upscale resorts who might have the ability to pay, rather than backpackers who absolutely won't - unless the ransom is in market rate pineapples and banana pancakes...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

TheGrinchSR wrote:I don't think there's a good way to die but beheading should be quick at least. Poor sod.

Oh well, it gives the tourist board a chance to capitalize. "Holidays in the Philippines, so good that you'll lose your head over it."

I think it shows a certain intelligence from the terrorist group that they've started abducting people from upscale resorts who might have the ability to pay, rather than backpackers who absolutely won't - unless the ransom is in market rate pineapples and banana pancakes...
ONLY good way to die is in bed asleep, ( preferable in the company of a nice lady)

They have been hitting big resorts for awhile, same in Mexico.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

phillipines tourism ads now is "find any excuse to come back" they should change it to "come back to find your head"
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I feel lucky to have made it out alive. Twice.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

General Mackevili wrote:I feel lucky to have made it out alive. Twice. Image
Still doesn't fix that bout of clap you bought home with you last time.

:stir: :stir:
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

They should just burn down 10 mosques for every hostage that gets killed.

Muslims do something stupid, they get punished for it, maybe the Muslims won't act up again.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic