Teaching in July/August

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Re: Teaching in July/August

Post by ot mien kampf »

SinnSisamouth wrote:did you save any children in indo?
I shaved a few children. Turned out they were just pygmies though.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Martycz wrote:That's the thing, I don't really have any proper qualification and I think that in Cambodia I at least have some chance to find something. I would like to come to Asia this summer again, but try to find a paid job this time.
1. why do you need a paid job if youre only going away for a few months...
2. why do you want to work if youre only going away for a few months...

why not just go out and enjoy yourself and explore the country, if you plan on staying and teaching english here in cambodia then fair enough, but just waltzing into a school for a few weeks pretending to be a teacher is not good for the kids :no:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Martycz
Tourist

Post by Martycz »

I really enjoyed teaching and it would be also great if I could at least earn little money for my travels. I had a good feeling from my teaching in Indonesia even though I stayed there only for about two months. I do believe I left at least a tiny mark there.

But I do get your point. I agree, it is not best for the kids to have teachers only for few weeks/months. Maybe I will reconsider it.

I also agree with viper that conditions for teaching English in Cambodia are not that great when it comes to actually teaching the kids something. Not really sure if I want to experience indifferent attitude from the teachers towards the kids.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Martycz wrote:I also have a TEFL certificate, but I am not that sure if it will be for any use since it is just a TEFL certificate for $30...better than nothing I hope though
Do you mean some pavement guy in Thailand charged you $30 for a fake TEFL certificate? No way you could get an accredited course for that amount, so the certificate is probably worthless.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
viper
Expatriate

Post by viper »

Marty, you strike me as a decent sort;you have been uncompromisingly honest about your lack of qualifications. So, come to Cambodia to enjoy yourself. Follow Jamie Lambo's advice and you will not be chained to a bad job. When I first came to Cambodia I came as a highly qualified ESL teacher. Even so, I had to take shit jobs to put food on the table until a good job opened up. As I look back on that absurdity I remember it with humor. But when I was going through it there was nothing funny about it. Do yourself a favor and either don't come here or come to have fun.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:thumb: :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Alexandra Shenea
Tourist
Philippines

Post by Alexandra Shenea »

Hello Martycz... If I may ask..., Why and what is your purpose in looking for a Teaching job in just a couple of months? What you think will be the possible learning experience of your students from you in that short period of time? How much more in tutorial wherein you can only spend one, two or maximum of three hours?
Don’t get me wrong.. I am just asking ‘cause I really wonder why... and how you assess and enhance the intellectual capability of one class in that too little time, as a teacher?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Alexandra Shenea wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:18 am Hello Martycz... If I may ask..., Why and what is your purpose in looking for a Teaching job in just a couple of months? What you think will be the possible learning experience of your students from you in that short period of time? How much more in tutorial wherein you can only spend one, two or maximum of three hours?
Don’t get me wrong.. I am just asking ‘cause I really wonder why... and how you assess and enhance the intellectual capability of one class in that too little time, as a teacher?
You do realize that the question is from 3 years ago, don't you?
Alexandra Shenea
Tourist
Philippines

Post by Alexandra Shenea »

Oh.. I didn’t come to notice.. I am into the topic itself... I concentrated on her topic and really wonder about that two months teaching...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic