OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Re: OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"

Post by Rain Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:
All of that writing to say that the Jews don't actually run Hollywood enough to stop an anti-semitic film. A film consisting of a number of Jewish actors. Fox passed it on because there were rampant protests against it... not because of influence from Hollywood Jews or because they were Jew owned, and even the Christian community condemned it as not following the story accurately and having too much "gore" violence.
OD --- first let's play nice. I do not want to get into the kind of slagging fests such as that between Dag & Stroppy that this thread was designed to get out of. That starts with not putting words in my mouth . --- directly or implied.

I have never stated "The Jews Run Hollywood". I find that argument to be overly simplistic and treating American Jews as a single entity, while in fact they have many diverse perspectives.

What i did say was this. It is not "Anti-Semitic" to suggest that Jewish and specifically Pro-Israel forces pretty much dictate what Americans see when it comes to news and entertainment imagery about how religious/ethnic groups, faiths, and middle eastern politics are portrayed.

Surely you can see the differences between the two statements?

I believe the evidence on this issue is overwhelming. If you wish to pursue further, I am happy to make my case. You will need to do better than "Passion of Christ" --- which as shown earlier actually supports my point of view.

Also you fully misrepresent the reaction to "Passion of Christ". The so called "Rampant Protests' you refer too were from a small subset of a demographic that makes up less than 2% of the USA population. Unfortunately they had a lot of clout with Fox so Fox pulled it and the resulting backlash ensued.

Also the "Christian Community" did NOT condemn the film. Some segments criticized it for some of the "Artistic License" Gibson took with certain parts of the Bible (e.g., Jesus stepping on the serpent). This happens with ANY religious film as it is impossible to please everyone with an interpretation of a topic so sensitive.

Let's Try to keep it real ok? (No I did not mean Keeping it Riel)
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote: Speaking of brainwashing... the actions by the ADL and the polarization (to some extent) of the religious groups was the best free marketing a crappy gore flick with a Christian theme could have ever hoped for. People who didn't even WANT to see it did so just out of some sense of obligation... you mean to tell me that wasn't planned? Please. They know how propaganda works... and they worked it to dump hundreds of millions into the box office.
HeHeHe --- so you are suggesting that ADL Conspired with Hollywood to create a false controversey as a marketing effort to increase demand for the movie?

Now THAT is an 'Anti-semitic Conspiracy Theory"

:popcorn:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

vladimir wrote:
2 people don't like Apocalypto. From the same age group/nationality, interesting. I'd like to do a survey based on age/nationality.
I saw it in the cinemas, and I just wasn't a fan of the homemade-video feel to it. I felt like I was watching "the making of" version.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Soi Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:As for Apocalypto... really? Cinematics were nice, but the overall "here's 2 hours of watching some guy run in a jungle" was garbage.
Vladimir nailed it. Apocalypto recreated a world in amazing style and depth and color that felt so real you could almost smell it. Cinematics were more than nice, they were inspired. Every scene in the city was a sensory overload. You could watch the crowd scenes twenty times and still see something new each time. I thought it was a masterpiece. The long jungle chase was even interesting.

Signs, of course, was total shit which was surprising, because Mel Gibson usually selects interesting projects (although his Vietnam War picture was piss poor too). Signs was just lazy and pointless. I always thought that director was way overrated.

Wow, did we get this thread completely off topic.
Off Topic -- yea lol -- Stroppy jumped ship early on. Not sure what happened to Dag?

I agree with you and Vlad on Apocalypto. I thought it was hard to watch at times due to the extreme violence, but the film itself was excellent. The Cinematography was brilliant and just immersed me into the movie. The real genius is that this may have been the most "Christian Movie" ever made and yet contained not a single reference to Jesus or Christianity. The landscape is literally a portrait of "Hell on Earth" and the evils of idolatry and a corrupt Priesthood. Sort of like a 21st century Cinematographic interpretation of Dante's Inferno. Add to this the themes of hope and faith (The wife and infant in the well), redemption, and divine intervention (The Jaguar scene near the end) and one can see the movie was quite thematic.

I do not consider myself Christian, but the movie was absolutely brilliant in it's story telling, underlying meanings, and execution. Not exactly a fun night out -- but really experiential. Certainly more than "a guy running through the jungle'
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Rain Dog wrote:Off Topic -- yea lol -- Stroppy jumped ship early on. Not sure what happened to Dag?
Early? Wow! Tough crowd!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

StroppyChops wrote:
Rain Dog wrote:Off Topic -- yea lol -- Stroppy jumped ship early on. Not sure what happened to Dag?
Early? Wow! Tough crowd!
Ahhh! here you are!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Rain Dog wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Early? Wow! Tough crowd!
Ahhh! here you are!
Yeah, it's considered a power move in Christian Missionary Chessmasters to be able to incite a discussion that you then don't have to participate in! Seriously though, I'm concerned for dagenham, has anyone seen/heard him recently?
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

^ You have his blood on your hands.

But I don't think he really exists. he is a made up personality.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

StroppyChops wrote:
Rain Dog wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Early? Wow! Tough crowd!
Ahhh! here you are!
Yeah, it's considered a power move in Christian Missionary Chessmasters to be able to incite a discussion that you then don't have to participate in! Seriously though, I'm concerned for dagenham, has anyone seen/heard him recently?
Possibly "offed" by a secret Missionary Ninja Squad?

Come to think of it I better check my own security now --- given my views on the topic.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

"We" want your soul, Rain Dog. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic